• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel gauge reads over full or below empty

dirtbikes4fun02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a '90 4 cyl 5-speed ranger standard cab long bed.
the fuel gauge when u turn the key on goes straight to full or straight to empty and it does it randomly. when u let it go to empty and cycle the key it will go to full, then fall off slowly when u turn the key off, then when u turn it back on, it will either go back to full or go straight to empty. and it has 1/2 tank of gas
i changed the whole pump, sending unit, float and everything last night. i checked all the wiring, and clean the plug wiring. i grounded out the yellow/white wire, checked the ohms on the sending unit, and everything checked out fine.
then i tried the gauge and still the same problems. could this be the slosh module?
i tried pulling the cluster out, but the speedo cable would not give me enough slack to unhook it and remove the cluster

somebody please help me out. i really need this to work.
thanks

vader436

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0litre V6
Transmission
Manual
did u solve ur problem, bcuz imhaving the same problem with my gauge, need help please

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
A bit late but...could be a bad grouund or a corroded connector on the top of the tank...mine has been wonky since I got the truck...when I had the bed off I cleaned the connectors and it worked better (though not perfectly)...a bit of dielectric grease in the connector goes a long way too...

if that doesn't help then you may need to replace the sending unit in the tank...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals