• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 2.9l with 90 2.9l

ubersoldatt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
it only hurts for a while
hey guys , I just got burned on a ford ranger , bought it and heard nothing during the test run got it home and it has a rod knock, anyhoo, I decided screw it its the truck I want so im gonna dump an engine init, but after reading about the heads on earlier models cracking I want to but a rebuilt 90-92 longblock, or 88-90, but seems theres an issue with the front head bolts being different sizes, so im wondering what parts off an 86 engine are NOT gonna fit other years with the fat heads, any help would be appreciated, before I dump any cash on the block

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes the earlier casting 2.9l heads did tend to crack the first time they were overheated.
Good read here on the 2.9l: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.shtml
Good pictures of the difference in the heads

'89 and up had the heavier casting heads

Never heard about any head bolt issue?

A rod knock will go away if spark is disabled on that cylinder, the "knock" noise is from firing, the loose connecting rod is slapping down on the crank journal.
But so will an exhaust leak and they sound very similar :)

Everything from an '86 2.9l will bolt on to a later model 2.9l, your '86 intake is better(larger) than later models so use that.

Last edited:

ubersoldatt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
is this in reference to some heads having 8mm holes and some having 10mm holes?

edit:

WhiteLX just started a topic about it here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151443
yeah it is was getting reay to order a crate engine and it says to use the earlier engine , i just want to know if my intake and everything will bolt up with the newer heads, trying to stay away from 86 heads , they have one with 2.9l 90 -92 in stock but its says front head bolts are 10mm if 8 mm use 86t etc, dont wanna order the engine till i know my 86 parts will fit onit

ubersoldatt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Yes the earlier casting 2.9l heads did tend to crack the first time they were overheated.
Good read here on the 2.9l: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_9_Page.shtml
Good pictures of the difference in the heads

'89 and up had the heavier casting heads

Never heard about any head bolt issue?

A rod knock will go away if spark is disabled on that cylinder, the "knock" noise is from firing, the loose connecting rod is slapping down on the crank journal.
But so will an exhaust leak and they sound very similar :)

Everything from an '86 2.9l will bolt on to a later model 2.9l, your '86 intake is better(larger) than later models so use that.
yeah i checked that it didnt go away or change volume , did each cylinder one at a time and no diffrence in sound or volume, it sounds like a lifter tick standing over the engine, but when you get under the oil pan it sounds like its comeing from inside the pan, thought it might be the oil pump, since the sound didnt differ at all with the spark check

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
food for thought

i've never done the swap you are looking into but the following information comes from reading through this forum and looking at machine shop websites that offer 2.9l heads for sale:

the 8mm vs. 10mm bolt holes are on the end of the heads and are utilized for attaching the brackets for a/c, p/s pump, alternator, etc.

i've read posts that advised others who did what you want to do to use their older(86 or 87) throttle body since it has a larger diameter than later year 2.9l throttle bodies. i can't say for a fact that the earlier intake will bolt to the later heads, but that is simply because i never tried it myself and i don't remember reading anything here that states that it does. (i would assume it does,though.)

i think i've read a couple of posts here that said the valve covers are different so you may need to score a set of those.

ecm may or may not be an issue.

although i can't offer advice as to buy or not, the above stuff you can maybe use for site or web searches or discussion with parts guys or mechanics. perhaps one of those who know will post a "go" or "no go" in regards to a hefty purchase.

by the way, have you done a compression test or slap a vacuum gauge on the manifold? just curious.

ubersoldatt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
thanks , i can hog out the brackets if needed and sure i can find some valve covers for the later model heads at pull apart if i do this should be ok with the ecm, since im keeping the same intake and electronics and such

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford dropped the egr valve in 88. That may confuse the computer, but I'm sure there are threads on here dealing with that.

ubersoldatt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Ford dropped the egr valve in 88. That may confuse the computer, but I'm sure there are threads on here dealing with that.
maybe guess were gonna find out, i ordered it :headbang::headbang:

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
any update?
You will have no problems with the bolt size difference..I just did this swap.

But you might have to buy 10mm bolts to bolt on all the brackets if you dont have them.
so far....I have not had any check engine lights or computer codes come up by going to a non-egr engine.
also your engine you ordered may not have the knock sensor... my old one did..my new one dont.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals