• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor installation

liamkeough88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm just gonna leave all the back ground info out and keep this short.

Need to install a new distributor.
Motor has been cranked with the distributor off.
Nothing marked so I've got no reference for re installation.
I'd appreciate a link to where it outlines procedure or could someone be so kind as to walk me through how to line up tdc, cylinder 1 and install the distributor

I get pulling cylinder 1 plug and feeling the compression

But its not as simple as just orienting the rotor to near the cylinder 1 post on the cap then dropping the distributor in. Or is it? Last time I did this (where im at right now) I had to rotate the distributor so much the tfi module was nearly at 12 0'clock before timing got close to correct and the truck runs like crap. See my other post

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1462874&posted=1#post1462874

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it is that easy.

What is confusing for most is that there are TWO Top-Dead-Centers for #1, Compression TDC and Exhaust TDC, this is because like most cars/trucks it is a 4 stroke engine.

As you said you want the Compression TDC and distributor rotor at #1
And yes pulling out #1 spark plug and then rotating engine manually until you feel compression starting to build up is a good way to tell compression TDC from Exhaust TDC.
But you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right just by setting crank at TDC and installing distributor with rotor at #1 on cap.
If it doesn't fire then mark where rotor is and pull distributor up enough to rotate rotor 180 degrees, reinstall and you are all set to adjust base timing at 10deg Before TDC once it starts.
It doesn't "hurt" anything if rotor is 180deg off, you just get a no start.

2.9l firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6
So when crank is lined up with TDC mark the rotor will either be on #1 or #5, both #1 and #5 pistons will be at TDC, but valves for each will be different, compression stroke cylinder will have both valves closed, exhaust stroke cylinder will have exhaust valve just closing and intake valve just opening.
These are called "matched cylinders" or "paired cylinders" this is how an engine is balanced.
Firing order tells you which cylinders are "matched"
1 - 5
4 - 3
2 - 6

1, 4, 2 - 5, 3, 6

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Set your engine to TDC on cyl 1. Find the two marks on the top of the dis stem, where the cap sits, set the rotor so it's edge is on the one to the left, if you held them at the 12:00 position, and drop it in. Once it's spike set the rotor between those two marks, and you should be more or less dead on for timing. It really is that easy.

You still need to set it with a timing light, but I have never had one not start right away doing it that way, and never had to turn the dis very far.

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The only thing I would add is that the distributor will probably only drop half way in and then you will need to turn the engine over slightly to get the oil pump drive shaft to slip into the distributor shaft and the distributor to drop all the way down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals