• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to time a 2.9???

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
any proper ideas on how to time a 2.9 the correct way. i tried. i do not know how i did, but i now have less power.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Get engine warmed up.

Pull the SPOUT connector which then fixes the timing advance at 10 degrees.

Rotate distributor position to give for 10 deg before TDC.

Put SPOUT connector back in.

Assuming you know where the SPOUT connector is, hardest part of it all is getting the wrench on the bolt that holds the distributor from rotating. Best to have a socket that fits snug (so it doesn't fall off in the process) with a swivel and a long extension.

Next hardest part is tightening the nut after adjusting timing without the timing changing. I've ended up having to loosen and re-adjust a couple times after noting it had moved after I tightened.

If you don't know where the SPOUT connector is or what it looks like that is a challenge. I wish I had a pic (Google pulls some up tho). It is just a plastic plug that jumpers two wires in the harness. It is typically in the harness that runs along the passenger side valve cover, seem to recall not too far from the PCV valve.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
Do I need to put the engine on tdc? And how about reading the harmonic balancer? I am also assuming timing light is invalved this way?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you had the dis out and moved it then you need to find TDC. It's best done by pulling the #1 plug then bumping the engine until you find compression, then use the timing pointer to set it to 10* BTDC.

After that, set the dis back in and use the marks near the blower motor to get the initial timing set. I usually set the rotor even at the first mark (going clockwise) and then drop the dis in, get it centered up between them, lock it down, and then get her fired up and set the timing with a light. Remember to unplug the SPOUT connector, it's by the intake's center runner, passenger side.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
has not been taken out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals