• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

INFO NEEDED: Ford Super Duty Engine (401, 477, 534)

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
An uncle and I have been wanting to restore a large heavy duty Ford work truck. Here's what we are thinking about, it's for sale for $1800 OBO:

It's a 1958 Ford FT 850 with a 10 speed. The truck is powered by this BEAST of a gas burner

It's a 534 cubic inch gas burning V8 in the "Super Duty Truck Engine" family. It is equipped with a 4 bbl holley carb. This motor produces close to 500 ft lbs of torque at only 2000 RPMS, while only producing 260 hp :sad:. I'm surprised at the lack of information which can be found on these motors, considering how many volunteer fire departments and farms are still running these motors. Does anyone know where I could find a shop manual or a good source of parts for these monsters? I've found a small ammount of information on other Ford truck forums, but nothing which compares to the information in the tech library located on TRS.

Last edited:

greasemonkey01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
All Ford
Transmission
Manual
best bets either ebay or google, if you can't find it on their its probably not available. or you could go to that place called the library :D Thats a good looking truck by the way especially for $1800.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
best bets either ebay or google, if you can't find it on their its probably not available. or you could go to that place called the library :D
I've found a few gaskets, ring kits, and replacement carbs on Ebay. I also found a complete master rebuild kit in another online store, but I need to find more on specs and tech info. From what I am reading on other forums, NAPA is about the only parts store which might have some parts. Considering they were manufactured from 1958-1981, I'm surprised at the lack of sources available.

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
what braking system does it have? air/hydraulic or air? if so it takes a special endorsement on your license to drive along with an upgrade due to its size

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what braking system does it have? air/hydraulic or air? if so it takes a special endorsement on your license to drive along with an upgrade due to its size
Air. The skirt has a provision for an air compressor. It would remain on a farm. My family has 1,000+ acres of farm land outside of the the Talladega National Forrest. It would be a project truck. I am still researching on how easily I can find parts for it. The engine series has very little information available except for several inactive forums, which worries me considering how long they were made.

Last edited:

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ford-trucks.com has a forum specific for these engines....continue your search there.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ford-trucks.com has a forum specific for these engines....continue your search there.
Thanks, I found that forum a few days ago. I have been reading through some of the threads over the past couple of days. I also plan to check with a local fire equipment distributor who has worked on a few fire trucks which are still running that series of motor.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Farm trucks don't require that endorsement in my state. You can get by with a lot of stuff with farm plates.

There probably isn't much of a demand for them as far as parts go, they made them for a long time... and now their only users are short distance farmers and small town fire depts, they don't really rack up that many miles and at the first chance they are dumped for something newer.

It would be unusual for only Napa to have parts for it, usually for oddball stuff like that we can get still a price comparison between O' Reilly's, Napa and Carquest. They will be slow moving parts so they may have to order, but they should still be available. Keep an eye on Ebay, go to swap meets and garage closing sales and look for books. They are out there, but it will take some work to dig them up.

We are looking at getting a 1970's L7000 grain truck for a tow pig, supposed to have a 360 in it (which it shouldn't). It was retired due to a rusted grain box (yours looks perfect from the outside) and the owner was tired of it hammering down the gas and replaced it with a diesel semi. Plans are to repaint the cab, scrap the box, shorten it up and make it a tractor to pull our gooseneck with.

despeshante

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
....is this truck still available for sale? I am extremely interested!!!!! If so please contact me a despeshante@gmail.com or 310.890.4280 Thank you.

347 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ranger 4x
Make / Model
!996 Ranger 2,3
Transmission
Automatic
....is this truck still available for sale? I am extremely interested!!!!! If so please contact me a despeshante@gmail.com or 310.890.4280 Thank you.
When I was a kid My dad used to haul lumber on a truck like that

I use to go to work with him when I was about 10 years old, He drove that truck for about 10 years then they bought a new Kenworth with a 335 Cummins Diesel! The Kenworth had lots more power but he had to pull a pup trailer!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals