• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Power Ranger

mnfirefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Project - 1994 Ranger 2.3 turbo

Never really have taken on a project like this on before but I've torn apart my 7.3 powerstroke and several other vehicles before. Got a junky Craigslist Ranger that barely runs - got a 2.3 turbo from a 1986 Mercury Cougar XR7. The project started because well I had the motor and wanted a little beater truck. I've done some research and will be using the 5 speed that is in the Ranger. I've read up on the work to do the swap and the biggest challenge will be the wiring because I don't have any wiring from the XR7.

Where I sit now - NA 2.3 pulled from Ranger, Ranger wire harness pulled out, I have a LA3 ECU to use and a big VAM. The XR7 2.3 came with the brown top injectors. I want to get everything up and running then I'll eventually lower it.

I have a lot of information on what I need to repin, what I need to add for wiring and so on. The biggest challenge I see will be the ignition wiring since I'll be going from DIS to TIF (I think I'm correct here). I'll update this as I go.

Any knowledge on this you want to share then shoot away

Attachments

Cody L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I also converted from DIS to TFI. Was not hard at all. I used the ignition wiring from a 2.9 ranger along with the coil bracket for the fender.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

mnfirefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Finally got some time to post an update - pictures of everything

- I rebuilt the brakes and replaced the brake cables - they broke off inside - I included some pictures of the spring layout for others to reference - I simply used the spring removal tool and removed all the springs then behind the pads there is a lever with a flange that the brake cable attaches to

- I will be replacing the shocks

- ground off all the rust chunks and then used a rust converter I brushed on - it works really well - the rust turns black and it chemically acts as primer - a couple of the pictures show the frame grey - i simply threw some primer on it when i took the bed off and stored it - i then ground off the large chunks of rust

- Then POR15 base coat then POR15 chassis top coat

- new bushings for leaf springs & bolts

- new u bolts

- replaced the drivers side front hanger that rusted out - I had to weld up some rusted out areas - I made a welding cart w/ a toolbox built in:icon_welder:

- I have new gas tank straps since they rusted out and broke when i removed them

- After the gas tank is back on then I'm power washing the engine bay and will start the engine work and eventually wire harness

Attachments

mnfirefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Finally got the rear end where I want it for the time being. Now ready to toss the box on. I haven't been able to commit hardly any time to this between remodeling the house and work. But here we are. Next is to save money to start the rebuild process of my 2.3 turbo.

Attachments

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Fun with wires :)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice man, your taking time to make it last. And wires are a headache. Keep posting pics i would like to see what you do under the hood.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals