• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L Power Steering Pump Bolts

BryanEstep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What are the sizes? the previous owner lost them and i cant find anyone that sells them and the nearest junkyard is a good while away so even if i dont get them there going there and back is a good bit of money. If i can just get the sizes i can order them from Fastenal.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I posted a link to the Ford Bolt book on here a few years ago and if you know the part number you can find out the size and thread type.

If you don't know the part number you can maybe find it in the online manual.

Now all that is easier said than done sometimes but the links are here:

Online manual and temporary password

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170166

Ford Bolt and nut book

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165466

The bolt and nut book is actually searchable if you read the first post.

The thing you need to find in the online manual is a diagram showing the power steering. I normally would do the leg work for you but I'm a bit busy with something else and only taking short breaks to refocus...don't want to delve too deeply...

A quick search on Google did not pull up the bolt part number but that may not be needed...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK...I found the list of parts for the pump removal...you will need to check the manual for the pump diagram and it will show you the bolt locations...the pump is held on by the number 5 bolt in the diagram...so part number listed below

Item Part Number Description
1 2882 A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket
2 N606543-S2 Bolt (2 Req'd). Tighten to 21.2-29 Nm (16-21 Ft-Lb)
3 N606069-S2 Bolt (2 Req'd). Tighten to 40.3-55 Nm (30-41 Ft-Lb)
4 N605803-S2 Bolt. Tighten to 40.3-55 Nm
(30-41 Ft-Lb)
5 N800199-S8M Screw. Tighten to 44-51 Nm (32-38 Ft-Lb)
6 3D673 Power Steering Pump Pulley
7 3F671 Power Steering Belt Idler Support
8 N806020-S2 Bolt. Tighten to 21.2-29 Nm (16-21 Ft-Lb)
9 3A674 Power Steering Pump
10 19703 A/C Compressor

Last edited:

BryanEstep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK...I found the list of parts for the pump removal...you will need to check the manual for the pump diagram and it will show you the bolt locations...the pump is held on by the number 8 bolt (I think) in the diagram...so part number listed below

Item Part Number Description
1 2882 A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket
2 N606543-S2 Bolt (2 Req'd). Tighten to 21.2-29 Nm (16-21 Ft-Lb)
3 N606069-S2 Bolt (2 Req'd). Tighten to 40.3-55 Nm (30-41 Ft-Lb)
4 N605803-S2 Bolt. Tighten to 40.3-55 Nm
(30-41 Ft-Lb)
5 N800199-S8M Screw. Tighten to 44-51 Nm
(32-38 Ft-Lb)
6 3D673 Power Steering Pump Pulley
7 3F671 Power Steering Belt Idler Support
8 N806020-S2 Bolt. Tighten to 21.2-29 Nm
(16-21 Ft-Lb)
9 3A674 Power Steering Pump
10 19703 A/C Compressor
I really just need to know the bolt lengths. i can easily get the sizes in all reality

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The bolt and nut pdf lists the length and size...I looked it up but didn't post the results...

It is number 5 actually...I was looking at the ac compressor first time...

the screws are listed as M10 and it is 33mm long...and it looks like there are 3 of them.

BryanEstep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The bolt and nut pdf lists the length and size...I looked it up but didn't post the results...

It is number 5 actually...I was looking at the ac compressor first time...

the screws are listed as M10 and it is 33mm long...and it looks like there are 3 of them.
I dont understand? you mean there are three M10 Bolts that are 33mm long? i dont understand that pdf lol

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I used the diagram from the online manual to find the parts listed for the ps pump removal. From that it shows where the bolts (screws in their terms) go. The diagram shows one screw location with two other holes for what I figure is two other screws.

I actually have a PS pump assembly sitting in a bin just outside my door but I can't get at it due to some stuff piled up in front of it. But when I removed mine there were three screws or bolts holding the pump to the bracket (I have the bracket too) but they don't come out until you remove the pulley on the front of the pump.

Those are very short screws and there are three of them. If you are looking at something else it may be better to post a picture of what you want to do if possible.

BryanEstep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I used the diagram from the online manual to find the parts listed for the ps pump removal. From that it shows where the bolts (screws in their terms) go. The diagram shows one screw location with two other holes for what I figure is two other screws.

I actually have a PS pump assembly sitting in a bin just outside my door but I can't get at it due to some stuff piled up in front of it. But when I removed mine there were three screws or bolts holding the pump to the bracket (I have the bracket too) but they don't come out until you remove the pulley on the front of the pump.

Those are very short screws and there are three of them. If you are looking at something else it may be better to post a picture of what you want to do if possible.
What kind of Screw? Also i dont have a bracket? Or maybe i do. I'll have to look in the box of ETC for this truck lol

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, that's just the way Ford describes and defines the different fasteners.

In about half an hour (after I make coffee) I will go out and have a look in the bin and pull out the PS stuff. I will take some pics and post them on my Photobucket when I get time.

If you look at the onliine manual for the model year you can pretty much tell exactly what I'm talking about

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I got some pics that might help you...

I started to load this on my Photobucket account but it hung up so I am attaching them.

One shows my finger beside the bolt and the other three show the bracket and pump attached. You should be able to see the three bolts clearly showing how the pump is connected.

The one showing my finger is a bit misleading because the book measures from the bottom of the head on the bolt to the tip of the shaft. That is exactly 33 mm according to my conversion of the overall length (1.5 top of head to tip) which is 38.1 mm...minus the cap would give you 33 mm.

Attachments

Last edited:

BryanEstep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got some pics that might help you...

I started to load this on my Photobucket account but it hung up so I am attaching them.

One shows my finger beside the bolt and the other three show the bracket and pump attached. You should be able to see the three bolts clearly showing how the pump is connected.

The one showing my finger is a bit misleading because the book measures from the bottom of the head on the bolt to the tip of the shaft. That is exactly 33 mm according to my conversion of the overall length (1.5 top of head to tip) which is 38.1 mm...minus the cap would give you 33 mm.
Think i could rob 4.0 bolts? atleast maybe be the same thread size but too long?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Think i could rob 4.0 bolts? atleast maybe be the same thread size but too long?
That is actually quite likely. Ford used the same bolts and pumps on many applications. If you check the online manual for the 4.0 power steering it will tell you whether or not they are the same part number.

Or you could cross reference the PS pumps from a parts supplier. Just need to grab the part number from yours and you can actually find what years and engines used the same pump.

Even if the pumps are different they may use the same bolts so I would check the online manual first.

BryanEstep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That is actually quite likely. Ford used the same bolts and pumps on many applications. If you check the online manual for the 4.0 power steering it will tell you whether or not they are the same part number.

Or you could cross reference the PS pumps from a parts supplier. Just need to grab the part number from yours and you can actually find what years and engines used the same pump.

Even if the pumps are different they may use the same bolts so I would check the online manual first.
Junkyard engine so it doesnt matter really. But i was also told recently i can get a new (or new to me, idk) 2.3L engine for 450$ or so because its a Federal engine. I dont understand how California and Federal is different but okay. So if i cant get this engine to go my way imma just engine swap.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Not sure what is meant by Federal engine...Federal Mogul maybe?

Pretty sure these engines were built in the Lima plant in Ohio (hence the name Lima) so not an outsourced part. Going to a 4.0 is not that difficult but you'd need to swap out the transmission also.

That makes it a bit easier if you don't want to do it in two parts. There are quite a few that I've seen over the years going to 4.0...rarely going the other way but I went from a 2.9 to a 2.0 because I wanted to stick with a carburetor.

It was a fun swap...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what is meant by Federal engine...Federal Mogul maybe?

Pretty sure these engines were built in the Lima plant in Ohio (hence the name Lima) so not an outsourced part. Going to a 4.0 is not that difficult but you'd need to swap out the transmission also.

That makes it a bit easier if you don't want to do it in two parts. There are quite a few that I've seen over the years going to 4.0...rarely going the other way but I went from a 2.9 to a 2.0 because I wanted to stick with a carburetor.

It was a fun swap...

He's referring to Federal or California emissions requirements. California is tougher on emissions requirements to the point that manufacturers produce vehicles that meet California's requirements or the other 49 states requirements (Federal).

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals