• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Groaning sound from accumulator area?

Madd Matt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2003 ranger fx4 4.0 makes groaning sound in the area around the accumulator when a/c
is first turned on. Recently purchased this truck and am trying to optimize the a/c.
A couple of weeks ago I replaced the oriface tube and recharged freon. A/c works now but
makes a groaning sound when compressor kicks on, oriface tube had green gunk on it and
appeared to be clogged. The compressor runs nice and quiet so I don't think that is the issue.
Accumlater also lurches or jumps a little when compressor kicks on. My thought is to break
the system down, flush the condensor, and evaporator, replace the accumulator and oriface
tube and associated o-rings put aprox 4 Oz of pag oil in and recharge.
Has any one ever heard of a situation like mine? If so what is the fix? Do you think Im on the
right track with my planed repair? I am not an a/c expert (Harley-davidson tech) so any advice is appreciated.
Thank you

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
What? Harleys don't have A/C? I have noticed groans on occasion but never anything jumping around.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
refrigerant gurgling surging in and out the accumulator comes to mind, hope the OTube is seated, if you do take it all apart please, drain the oil out of the compressor flush, refill, flush the lines when not connected to the compressor NEVER USE AIR! And you need a vacuum pump

Madd Matt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finally got my chance to work on my A/C yesterday (96 degrees outside).
Pulled it all apart and found the oriface tube had moved out of its seat, pulled all
the lines, and flushed them and the accumulator. Drained oil from compressor and
added the recommended amount. Lines looked good so I reused them. Condensor
Looked like it had a small leak so I replaced it. Installed a new oriface tube, compressor
clutch switch (threads pulled on old one) and all new o-ring and a new recever drier.
Pulled a vacuum on the system and added recommend amount of freon.
A/C works great now, was reading 50 degrees at the center vent.
Just wanted to say thanks to Denise for her advice, and thanks to A.J. for his
awesome write up in tech forum (Resurrecting ford ranger air conditioning )

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals