• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Moog Tie Rod snapped & caused damage.

jonathanh96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I had brand new suspension put on. Upper Control Arms, Lower Control Arms, inner & outer tie rods. Not 2000 miles later with no offroading, didn't hit anything (in fact I was at a parking lot) the steering went flat. I saw the Tie rod was bent underneath and it made a popping noise because it was rubbing against what looked to be a steel blt through a rubber enclosure connecting the rack and pinion to the lower control arm. Unsure what this part Is called.

At this point I knew I wasn't driving it, so I called AAA and got it towed home. After it was unloaded from the tow truck, I barely tapped the curb not even going a mph while parking and the tie rod snapped causing my wheel to go outwards.

This was a brand new tie rod and it bent and snapped under normal driving conditions!!!
I called up Moog after hours and left a voicemail with them but it's been a week and they haven't gotten back to me. I had to pay for a new tie rod and alignment because of a defective product. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also does anyone know what the piece is that I'm talking about? For temporary I've put touch up paint on it and clear coat and a coat of grease to slow down the corrosion process so it doesn't break on me but I have to get that fixed as well.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wow you don't know a whole lot about cars, do you?

The part you are looking for is called a sway bar end link. Since it is a Ford unit it will break eventually no matter what you do. Also, it doesn't connect the control arm to the rack and pinion (rack for short). Nothing connects the control arm to the rack because the control arm doesn't get connected to the rack.

The rack is the piece the tie rod is attached to. It is the steering gear.

jonathanh96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow you don't know a whole lot about cars, do you?

The part you are looking for is called a sway bar end link. Since it is a Ford unit it will break eventually no matter what you do. Also, it doesn't connect the control arm to the rack and pinion (rack for short). Nothing connects the control arm to the rack because the control arm doesn't get connected to the rack.

The rack is the piece the tie rod is attached to. It is the steering gear.
First of all, thank you for telling me the part name.
Second of all, you don't have to be a dick.
This is my first car and I'm learning as I'm going, when something breaks I fix it, if I don't know how to fix it, I learn how to fix it. Not everyone is an ASE certified master mechanic. I come here to learn and get HELP. I couldn't figure out the part even looking at blow up diagrams.

And whereas EVERY part will break eventually, coating it in something will protect it from the numerous types of corrosion there is. Paint, Clear Coat and a layer of grease will definitely slow down the process.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
adsm was not necessarily being a dick, he was just telling it like it is. You even conformed he was right. He does not have a diplomatic style and I have found a lot of knowledgeable people like that. Over the years, I have just learned to just roll with the punches and learn what I can. I have seen a lot harsher replies than that.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
interesting break. the only force on that rod is a straight push-pull. there is virtually no twisting, up/down, or sideways force on the rod.
does the tie-rod end move where it attaches to the knuckle? it should move in all directions with a smooth resistance.

did it shear where the threads meet the straight shaft?

I wouldn't worry about corrosion on the stabilizer bar end link, they always break at the ends.

Last edited:

jonathanh96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
interesting break. the only force on that rod is a straight push-pull. there is virtually no twisting, up/down, or sideways force on the rod.
does the tie-rod end move where it attaches to the knuckle? it should move in all directions with a smooth resistance.

did it shear where the threads meet the straight shaft?

I wouldn't worry about corrosion on the stabilizer bar end link, they always break at the ends.
The tie rod does have full smooth range of motion on the ball and there is grease there. It snapped on the thread and it is bent which it being hardened steel, it shouldn't have bent, it should have had a clean snap unless the metal wasn't treated properly.

And unfortunately I got in contact with Moog & they have horrible customer service!! They refused to reinburse me for the part when I bought the exact same tie rod.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals