• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L Power Steering Pump Bolts

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
Not to hijack this thread about powersteering pump bolts but I'm looking for the bolts that hold the engine to the transmission. A few of them got pretty mucked up during removal. I tried to look it up on that auto repair reference center and compare numbers to the PDF in the other thread but all it says under transmission is "Remove the bolts, lockwashers and flatwashers attaching the transmission to the rear plate of engine" with no details about the bolts themselves. Am I looking in the wrong place or what? Is there another method to identify these bolts so I can order them online?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
He's referring to Federal or California emissions requirements. California is tougher on emissions requirements to the point that manufacturers produce vehicles that meet California's requirements or the other 49 states requirements (Federal).

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet
Ah, that makes sense, thanks! I usually go the other route and just assume...lol

Not to hijack this thread about powersteering pump bolts but I'm looking for the bolts that hold the engine to the transmission. A few of them got pretty mucked up during removal. I tried to look it up on that auto repair reference center and compare numbers to the PDF in the other thread but all it says under transmission is "Remove the bolts, lockwashers and flatwashers attaching the transmission to the rear plate of engine" with no details about the bolts themselves. Am I looking in the wrong place or what? Is there another method to identify these bolts so I can order them online?
Some parts are not listed for some reason. If you have some it makes it easier to find the right ones because they have templates to find out the size and thread type in most stores that sell bolts.

Good to hear you were able to navigate the steps though as I thought maybe it was just too much work going between the two resources.

The bolts are probably the same for all year 2.3s so I would try a different year.

The holes on the block would all be the same for all years and transmissions so there is quite a bit of universality there for easier reference. I've never heard or read anything about the bolts being different from one year to the next...not that I've read or know everything but I would imagine I'd have heard of it by now.

I will give it a look to find the part number if I can.

EDIT: I found this thread from last year where the OP lost his bolts...last post he give specs of the bolts...there are 6 of them apparently and 4 are longer with 2 being 1.5" long.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169402&highlight=housing+bolts

Last edited:

BryanEstep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ah, that makes sense, thanks! I usually go the other route and just assume...lol

Some parts are not listed for some reason. If you have some it makes it easier to find the right ones because they have templates to find out the size and thread type in most stores that sell bolts.

Good to hear you were able to navigate the steps though as I thought maybe it was just too much work going between the two resources.

The bolts are probably the same for all year 2.3s so I would try a different year.

The holes on the block would all be the same for all years and transmissions so there is quite a bit of universality there for easier reference. I've never heard or read anything about the bolts being different from one year to the next...not that I've read or know everything but I would imagine I'd have heard of it by now.

I will give it a look to find the part number if I can.

EDIT: I found this thread from last year where the OP lost his bolts...last post he give specs of the bolts...there are 6 of them apparently and 4 are longer with 2 being 1.5" long.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169402&highlight=housing+bolts
Just got the new filler neck tube put on with the 96 XLT regular silver bed with pinstripe stickers. And new door locks. Might post some pics tomorrow

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good to hear that went well. Any problems putting it back together?

When I put my 92 box on the 96 frame I found the 96 filler neck would allow me to properly fit things together...amazing how an inch of tube can make that much difference...:)

BryanEstep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good to hear that went well. Any problems putting it back together?

When I put my 92 box on the 96 frame I found the 96 filler neck would allow me to properly fit things together...amazing how an inch of tube can make that much difference...:)
It went good until we thought we got the wrong part then we got it put together. the neck just wasnt flush with the bed to let the bolt holes line up.

I'm painting my tool box then all we need is an ignition coil connector, fluids, and brakes. But brakes will come once we know its running good. We didnt know why it was taken apart so we put it back together so we could read codes. Maybe it fixed itself or just needed to be rebuilt lol. oh and i got the power steering on BUT no AC. Had to get a Serp belt for no AC bc the AC that came with the truck wasnt right, idk how that worked out. maybe the guy tried to repplace it and sold it with the replacement that didnt work.

Oh and i gotta paint my wheels. but thats a luxury lol. Oh and no wiring needing. all the lights are working fine. sadly somehow my Ebrake is diconnected so it doesnt work...gotta work on that. #5speed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals