• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 ranger 5.0 swap

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Quick question guys, the 97 explorer I have has these type of upper control arms for the differential they have a bracket that bolts to the frame. My current differential from a 96 v6 does not have this.

Can I just put this diff along with those lil arms and the bracket in the ranger? I would have to drill the holes on my frame for the bracket.

Do you guys know what I mean??

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Its that bracket in the upper left next to the brake caliper . in the other picture its a 3 bolt bracket

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anything can help guys don't really matter on this.

But I have a serious question.

Will my driveshaft slide in and bolt up no problem?

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 90' short bed short cab I've read It should work fine no mods but I could be were ng

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Quick question guys, the 97 explorer I have has these type of upper control arms for the differential they have a bracket that bolts to the frame. My current differential from a 96 v6 does not have this.

Can I just put this diff along with those lil arms and the bracket in the ranger? I would have to drill the holes on my frame for the bracket.

Do you guys know what I mean??
What you are showing in the pics that you are calling control arms are actually traction bars that are on some of the explorers, but not all of them. They don't really fit the ranger because the leafs are under the framerail on the expo and outside the rails on the ranger. So the welded tabs on the axle are further away from the frame than on the expo so the frame side mounts you pictured will be like 4" away from the frame.

The can work if you cut off and reweld the axle mounts closer to the frame rail.

The explorers that had the traction rods usually also had a lateral damper that bolts to the three holes on the diff pumpkin and over to the passenger side inside framerail. This can be fairly easy to make work as the damper can be pushed in some to make up for the frame distance difference.

The axle from an explorer does bolt directly into the ranger, but ontop of the leafpacks, so it will lower you about 4"... You have to cut off the perches and weld them on the bottom to mount it like the ranger axle underneath if you want to keep stock height.

There are plenty of tutorials on the web about swapping the axle, brakes, shocks etc... But I haven't seen much info about using the traction bars or lateral damper on the ranger, it wouldn't be too hard to make work. I have a done a few expo axles swaps into rangers, and was going to try to use the bars/damper on the axle I put one in my daily b2500 but with beltech shocks and using the expo sway bar the rear is so tight and the truck is so light it doesn't really need any more help like the top heavy expos do. It stays flat in a drift and doesn't wheelhop on burnouts, so I never bothered to try.

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea I think your right bro its not worth the effort I already have a 96 8.8 with the springs and it dropped it the perfect amount. Plus it has the trac lok. Was just wondering if its worth it but I guess not. I plan on swapping a Lincoln mark 8 irs later after this is done so I don't plan on doing latter bars or something I want a great handling truck....hopefully. After that I want to do the trucks.com ifs setup for the front suspension I want it to handle like a performance car I don't plan to haul anything except a soundsyatem from time to time

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Here is what the ifs looks like on the metal they have different widths so it can be level with the rear

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys what's going on I'm about to start tearing the explorer apart this swap my ranger and I have a question.

I'd like to keep the obd2 port for the swap what harnesses would I need to pull to keep that feature? Would I need to remove the dash?

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anybody know if the tri y's for gt40p heads?

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's up guys do I need to buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Engine is from a 97 I have a 90' 2.3

Really need help don't want to buy thing I don't need

Thank you in advance

ick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
seems like you're on the right track. get to work on it already!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank bro today I dropped the motor in been t the mounts don't want to line up.

I have a 1990 and the tran adapt kit said I needed to drill a hole by when I put the metal plate there was already the holes there. The motor mounts don't want to drop in the holes tho are the mounts side specific or do I really need to drill that hole?

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nvm guys I for that bitch in. I just have to get everything aligned and level so far its just lil things like the oil line hoses and mounting the oil filter so far so good

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys just wondering how to I go about 5 speed swapping the explorer engine and computer??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals