• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger HELP! dont know what to try..

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I spaced it off today...sorry
I just jump in it and drove to work today without looking. I will go out during my break here in a hour and a half and look for ya.

Another question for ya.... I see in the photo your missing the PCV valve in the valve cover. Is it missing or just removed for the photo? Can't tell if its hiding behind the wire harness.
If its missing... you need to look under the throttlebody and see if one of the vacume tubes ( curved tube) is capped off where the PCV should plug in. If not that will cause the truck to run all kinds of strange.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ok went out and looked at it in the cold, dark parking lot. (used flashlight on phone)
3 wires coming out of the foil = blue, yellow, and black in color and hook into the TFI plug on distributor. The foil stops right at the end of the plastic wire loom. It is still in great shape and really tightly wrapped around the 3 wires in the loom. I did not want to cut it open and see if there was a bare wire inside, but if I remember correctly there is and its wound around the wires also inside of the foil then grounded out.
Just to keep radio interference away from the wires.

Maybe some one else will chime in on this, or maybe a thread on this forum somewhere talking about it.

crazyjp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For the tfi module its supposed to be grounded out some where i don't remember where i know cause i did the tfi relocation on my 88 B2 i have the repair manual on top of my tv ill look threw it and come back if i have any answers

mine kinda does this same thing except is starts with in 1 to 5 seconds of turning the key and runs like a champ untill its warmed up

crazyjp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Based on what i see on my 88 b2 the rangers are supposed to be identical you have a five wire plug that goes to the tfi module that should have some type of shielding but it may not be visible or may not exist

if you only have 3 wires coming from the distributor and going to the TFI module then your tfi module has been relocated and HAS TO HAVE shielding on those 3 wires

but from the pic it looks like some one just dismantled your wiring harness and the TFI module is still in its normal place but i don't know that for sure

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L HOPING FOR A SWAP SOON
Transmission
Manual
the pcv is there, i just moved it while inspecting the wiring harness.
i am going to do a full lookover of the vacuum lines, check timing.. again, check wires, cap, rotor, and do a compression test on all cylinders.
i will post the outcome later today when i get home and get it done

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ok I was waiting for a update and seen on another thread you got it running as good as it ever has...
So....what was the problem causing your issues?
that way if someone in the future has a similar issue and does a search and then reads this thread, they might find the answer.

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L HOPING FOR A SWAP SOON
Transmission
Manual
I am not 100% sure as i replaced a few things..
I changed plugs, wires, pcv, egr, fuel filter, fixed a fuel line, another oil change..
Also in the process my alternator quit on me so i converted it to a 3 wire alternator
after that it started running good but as of now its back to its previous state..
i think the fuel pressure regulator is getting pretty weak.
I have a few aftermarket adjustable ones laying around.
Can anyone tell me if i could somehow make one ofe those work? just not sure how to hook it up to the fuel rail..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals