• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I've Had it

softshellcrab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Dominus Vobiscum
Not! According to my research, M&W pistons were replacement pistons for the old Farmall Tractor. They aren't in business any longer. Maybe I can turn this Ranger into a tractor?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'd like to see compression test results, and also would like to see you get a timing light on it to verify correct ignition timing. I suspect an issue in either valve timing or ignition timing.

softshellcrab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Dominus Vobiscum
Problems solved but need help on Speedo issues.

Just a quick note on my progress with this truck. I took it down to a mechanic and, long story short, the timing was waaaaaaay retarded. Now it runs like a raped ape, well at least for a 2.9!

Now the long story. about 8 years ago, I was visiting my F in law and was asked to go pick up a recliner for granny that helped her get up out of it easier. Me and my B in law went to go pick it up in my F in law's Ranger. We almost had to get out and push it up the hills. We both are over 220 pounds plus the low power of the truck and the weight of the recliner, which is heavier than most because of the electric motors inside of it, the truck just was horribly underpowered. I made a comment to my F in law and he said, "it's always been that way." He bought it used from a dealer and as far as he knows, other than oil changes, nothing has been done to it. When we were discussing the issues on this forum, one of you made mention to check the timing. I thought that the engine was so bad that certainly there was something "bigger" involved than timing. Apparently, someone tried to mess with the timing at some point and left the "shunt switch" (?) disengaged, (and I'm speaking from absolute ignorance here), which caused the timing to be retarded.

Now the only problem is that my speedo is not registering the correct speed. It say's I'm going 80 when in fact I'm going 60 or 65.The speedo is not stable, jumping from 60 to 80 and back to 75. I have checked into cables and many are offered in different lengths. I would assume that my issues are the cable, but maybe not? I have a unit with cruise, although it looks as if its after market because the controls are on a different post next to the turn signal. It looks like an afterthought when it was connected.

I did get a 5" lift with a differential change to 4.63. The Cat was replaced to OEM cat's and the other issues taken care of.

I don't think the speedo is related to the rear end change out, it should be registering real MPH now that the rear end is completed. The speedo is a new issue and was not one prior to the timing issue or the differential change out.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You should start a new thread for a new question.
However, I bet the speed reading wrong is because the gears were changed and the speedo gears weren't. The sticking could be a bad cable or?

sent while sitting on the throne

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals