• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.9L V6 Lifter ticking and loss of power

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Need Help

I have 1988 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9l V6 with 198K on it. I run 10-W30 Synthetic Blend Motor oil with Napa Gold filter. The truck ran great going 50 miles to work but going back up hill back home it get a lifter ticking as it heats up. Its been fine ran good until I changed oil and went to a Napa tough guard oil filter. I got a ticking than loss of power I thought the filter was to oil restricting I changed to a Wix Filter and one quart of 10W-40. The ticking went away than driving back going up hill back to serious ticking and loss of power. I used Sea Foam to help clear the lifter it helped this morning ran fine not a sound than going up hill maybe 6 miles back to ticking and loss of power. I am thinking the darn thing needs thicker oil? after it gets hot it thins out to much I do have 4 quarts of Kendall motor oil and a MicroGard oil filter. I know once the cold 10W-40 got to the lifters it was fine I filled the filter before installing it. I feel its an oil weight issue? please help need it for work to far to walk 50miles

The truck runs great when not ticking and never gets hot. I am thinking going to a thicker oil will help with oil pressure and help keep the lifter pumped up. I was going to try Lucas oil stabilizer? but going to 20-W50 is just the same?

Last edited:

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you

I will get a bottle of Lucas add it to the oil see if it gets better. I just had the trans re-built a year ago now this issue. I was going drain some oil out and add 4 quarts of 20W-50 maybe Lucas is a better idea

PAWGEdward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same issue, so I ran heavy oil in it during the summer and it helped quite alot, but after time went on it got to the point where i couldn't get the ticking to go away at all and ended up rebuilding the engine. My cam bearing were destroyed causing oil not to get up past the camshaft.

So like pete said, if you want it done right the engine needs pulled and inspected but thick oil helped me for awhile until i was able to get it fixed. I've heard some people say it is something as simple as the oil pump, and others needed a complete overhaul.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals