• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger HELP! dont know what to try..

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L HOPING FOR A SWAP SOON
Transmission
Manual
i have an 87 ranger stx, 2.9l, 5 speed, 4x4.. it has a few issues:
1. Horrible gas mileage.. been getting between 9-10 mpg, a tank every two days, and i need this vehicle for winter up here..
2. LOW power.. it will barely climb the smallest of hills unless you downshift from OD to 3rd and punch it.
3. weird fuel pressure? when ignition turns on it jumps between 35-40, then after about 3-4 seconds it drops all pressure.
4. REALLY hard starting.
5. i have to ride my clutch for it to get moving, the clutch is brand new, it just seems like once the clutch is slightly let out, it falls on its face..
i bought this vehicle for winter for my 30 mile a day commute, and reallly need it running good and getting good mileage, can anyone help me? :dunno:

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Kinda sounds like a complete tune up is in need. Also check the timing. Is the cat plugged. Have you had the computer scanned. Could be O2 sensors. It could be a bunch of things.

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Pm me for more

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to pull codes. We can't guess what's wrong.

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i pulled codes awhile ago, only thing that came up, was egr. replaced egr, same thing happening. it has new cap, rotor, wires, (never did the plugs, i checked them lastnight and i will be replacing them tomorrow night), egr, cleaned the IAC, found a shorted out wire over PS pump, had a couple broken vacuum lines, fixed those. after all that, still doing the same thing.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
2. LOW power.. it will barely climb the smallest of hills unless you downshift from OD to 3rd and punch it.
3. weird fuel pressure? when ignition turns on it jumps between 35-40, then after about 3-4 seconds it drops all pressure.
4. REALLY hard starting....
I wouldn't bother with codes yet. What does the fuel pressure read at idle or at speed? Steady? Stable?

Engine off should also hold pressure, bad FPRs sometime leak into the little line that goes to the intake manifold.

Basics before computer query, especially in ODB1 limited feedback EMSs.

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The fuel pressure when ignition on is 35-40, then drops to zero after a few seconds, truck running it bounces between 35-42. It just doesn't seem to hold its pressure. There is no obvious leaks, or anything like that.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
The fuel pressure when ignition on is 35-40, then drops to zero after a few seconds, truck running it bounces between 35-42. It just doesn't seem to hold its pressure. There is no obvious leaks, or anything like that.
Pull the vacuum line off the FPR, turn on the key and see if any fuel comes out of the vacuum port. Check the vacuum line to see if it is wet with fuel or smells like fuel. This is one place where fuel can leak and you never see it as the fuel is sucked into the intake.

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i will try that tonight, if it does, i will replace the FPR and see if that fixes anything

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Apart from the FPR you should look at the fuel injectors you may have a bad one or more. There is also a check valve in the fuel canister just before the high pressure pump you may want to investigate that but make sure you have a spare o ring gasket before opening it.

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I checked the FPR and no fuel comes out when the key is turned on, except the vacuum line smells like fuel. How would I go about checking the injectors?

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I checked the FPR, and fuel didn't come out when the key was turned on, but it did make a weird noise when I pulled it off and did that, and the line did smell like fuel, how would I go about checking the injectors?

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I checked the FPR, and fuel didn't come out when the key was turned on, but it did make a weird noise when I pulled it off and did that, and the line did smell like fuel, how would I go about checking the injectors?
You are looking for liquid in the line, a gas smell is normal. How could there be a weird noise if the engine was not running?

Here is a great book in the tech article section it will cover everything. I recommend saving a copy http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/Ford_Fuel_Injection_Book.pdf

ranger_redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When the key is turned on, there is a weird noise, never heard it before until today when I pulled the line off. It sounds like it is coming right from the FPR.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The noise may be fuel moving past the diaphragm but there should be no strange noise when removing the vacuum line with the engine not running. Unless you have a clogged line. It may be worthwhile to purchase a new FPR even if the present one is good and keep one as a spare.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals