• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Think I Broke My T-Case Last Night :(

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a little back-story: so I bought a wrecked 99 explorer sport 4x4 for cheap that was totaled out. I bought it for strictly playing/beating on it in the mud (it has a set of 8-16 31" tractor tires on it). I sold the 8.8 rear and traded for a 7.5 with 3.73s out of my cousins mazda and welded the spider gears. I assumed then that I had 3.73s but looking today I found out I have 4.10s. :buttkick:

last night I took it to the local mudhole to play around, I always keep it in 4lo. was doing good till I started going cross-ways thru some nasty ruts and bouncing HARD. I ended up breaking something and the rear end wasn't pulling, so I was told, figured the rear axle gave up. went to load it up on the trailer on the front end and it kept popping and snapping but finally got up there and I got it home. this morning I went to unload it (still in 4lo) and it didn't move at all just kept clunking and trying to move but wouldn't. I thought for the hell of it id put it in 4hi and see what happened. it came right off and moved around with no noises.

think the t-case is indeed broke or the shift motor isn't fully engaging into 4lo? any other ideas? im on the search for another explorer rear I can buy to give my cousin to get my 4.10 rear back to fix the gear ratio mismatch.

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
update: I got to messing around with it and tried to get it in a bit of a load on it by nosing it down an embankment with it in 4hi. ended up getting stuck with only the front end pulling/pushing. I had to go get my diesel to pull it out. while I was trying to get the rope tight so I could safely put it in neutral and pull it out. guess I put a lil more on it than I thought because I looked back and it started coming up the hill ROLLING while it was in park.

after I got it out and taking it back to the house I tried 4lo again and it worked. but it does still cluck and buck while driving around the yard.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am gonna say you broke your 4x4. I'd be looking in the T-case.

Not sure why you would want to have swapped a 31-spline 8.8 for a 7.5 though.

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well I the original plan was to buy it and part it out and make a few bucks, starting with the rear axle since my cousin was in the market for one. I had a line on getting rid of the motor but that ended up going cold. I figured I might as well use it and have some fun with it, so I slapped my cousins 7.5 under it and my set of vtreads on it and went and had some fun

is there a way I can put a non AWD t-case in there so I can play around in 2wd?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you can find one it should work.

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what would I look for one out of? would everything plug up and operate like it does now except the "AUTO" selection on the 4wd switch would be "2wd"

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
decided just for the hell of it since I have another explorer 8.8 with 4.10s coming, id pull the cover off this one to see what was inside......

EXPLODED the cross-pin spider gears from where I had them welded. also ripped the teeth off the axle spider gears where I had it welded

still trying to figure out what im going to do about a transfercase. its definatly slipping inside the case. it moves but with any kind of power it starts to slip and clunk.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You don't have awd if you have selector buttons. Auto 4x4 is 2wd until it sees a wheel slip.

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh. my mistake. I thought the AWD was the same as AUTO since it went to 4x4 whenever it needs to.

so what are my options for getting rid of it and going to the traditional 4wd. im not sure what is wrong in the case but I think that maybe the clutch that transfers power to the front axle is toast.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There isn't a clutch. It's a chain driven planetary gear set. You probably stretched the chain out.

As for getting rid of the auto 4x4, that's easier said than done. It's a software thing, so you would almost have to go to a manual case.

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmmm. ok. wonder if i should just go back with another AUTO case. maybe when the rear broke and sent all the power thru the case to the front end only it was too much for it to handle?:dunno:

edit: I just did some research. I THINK I have a BW4405 case by the sticker on my case (below). looking around I found clutch pack replacements.

Last edited:

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thinking about getting a BW1354 t-case. would this bolt right up and work?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
hmmm. ok. wonder if i should just go back with another AUTO case. maybe when the rear broke and sent all the power thru the case to the front end only it was too much for it to handle?:dunno:
That's not how it works.

[/QUOTE]

edit: I just did some research. I THINK I have a BW4405 case by the sticker on my case (below). looking around I found clutch pack replacements.
[/QUOTE]

I am looking at the parts list, exploded view, and tear down instructions. I see no clutches, except for the field coil clutch, which is for making the shift smoother, not for power transfer. What you are finding is probably the viscous coupling for an AWD case.

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused:How are you figuring that's not how it works? If the rear end breaks and cannot use any power to turn the wheels then therefore all the power from the motor is going to be used to turn the front tires, since they're the only ones that are doing anything.

If there is clutches that are used to soften shifts (which there are from the parts diagrams) then therefore it has to use clutches to engage the front output yoke so the front end pulls.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals