• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Poor Girl Wont Run

Cummins6060

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1992 ford ranger with a 2.3. Truck only has 89000 miles. When i got it it needed a fuel pump, so we took the box off and replaced everything in the tank. Doing that, had good fuel pressure and the truck would run. It did have a slight miss. So i figured, plugs, wires, and a few other minor parts. It needed a fuel psi regulator because the vacuum tube was broken off. So i started replacing that, and decided to do plugs while i had the rail off. Just my luck, i broke the #2 plug off. So i tore the head off and had plug removed. Replaced gasket, all 8 plugs. Also Replaced timing belt. Now got it all the way back together and she wont run. She just spits and sputters and pops bangs. Im pretty sure i got the timing set right. Dont know where to go from here. One thing is, do you have to have the alternator hooked up to have it run? Need Help ASAP

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Sure sounds like you are 180 degrees out on the timing.
You don't need the alternator to run, it will run off the battery for a little while.

Cummins6060

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I put the crank at TDC, and aligned the cam mark up with the mark on the inner cover mark...then put belt on...isnt that right?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
What about the plug wires? Did those get put back on correct?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Here is a shot of mine. I had to put the belt on 3 times. The first 2, I was one tooth off and you couldn't tell until you rotated the engine two rotations.

The only other thing I can think of is you move your crank positioning sensor to change the belt. Did you make sure it was back on correctly and connected?

Cummins6060

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have both chilton and haynes manuals for it so im 100% with the plug wires. What did yours run like with the timing a few teeth off?? Mine just spits and sputters and you gotta keep moving the throttle to keep it running.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I never started it. I messed with the belt until I was sure I had it on correctly. But I know how easy it is to not line it up perfectly. I thought I had it right the first 2 times, but after 2 rotations, it wasn't lining up again.

Do you have the oil cap on? Part of the problem could be a huge vacuum leak. I know when you pull my oil cap while it is running, it will run like shit.

The spark plugs on these trucks are interesting. The exhaust side plugs fire just before top dead center. The actually make the engine run. The intake side plugs fire right after top dead center to combust an unburnt fuel and reduce emissions.

If you pull an exhaust side plug while the engine is running, the engine will miss like a SOB. If you pull an intake side plug, nothing really happens.

Suppose the problem is with the coil pack for the exhaust side plugs. The intake side plugs are firing to keep the engine running (poorly). Maybe try switching the coil packs around and see if the engine runs any better.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Are you 100% sure you have the crank at tdc? There is a star or triangle in the crank gear for the timing belt, and it has to be perfectly centered on the slot above it in the seal housing.

Cummins6060

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you 100% sure you have the crank at tdc? There is a star or triangle in the crank gear for the timing belt, and it has to be perfectly centered on the slot above it in the seal housing.
I have not seen any of these marks....i have looked and looked...no marks...i know what marks you mean...i just see the big notch on the cam gear that aligns up with the inner cover...Wasnt there certin years that didnt have these diamond and triangle timing marks?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If you can see it, the crankshaft keyway should be at 12:00 when the crankshaft is at TDC. I suspect it should even if you can't see it.(chuckle)
The triangle on the cam sprocket should be at the pointer when the crankshaft is at TDC.
Doesn't this ignition need a CPS - cam position sensor - to know if TDC is compression or exhaust? I thought some had a sensor on the oil pump drive where the distributor mounted previously. If so, that sensor must be in time with the camshaft sprocket, just like a distributor.
tom

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
From what tom is saying, you could have both marks lined up correctly, but still be 180 degrees off.

Did you cam get turned while the head was off by chance?

And if it helps, my oil pump sprocket did not have a mark on it (1994)

Cummins6060

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im sure it did get turned, and it does not have a Cam Position Sensor. Ill check tonight to see if my timing is off, I see the big mark on the front of the camshaft but icannot find the triangle and diamond that are on the lip of the camshaft. Does my year not have it?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Not the cam, the crank, the small timing belt pulley. The engine could not be 180* out if it actually runs.

Cummins6060

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ill check it out when i get home around 3:30...thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals