• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 F-250 auto lock hub swap

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So this one is a little backwards. My dad has a 2000 F-250 4x4 7.3L diesel with manual trans and transfer case. It is one of the few trucks of similar year that I've seen stock with manual only hubs, this truck has no auto lock. He wants to convert from manual hubs to auto lock hubs like found on most of these trucks. Neither of us knows if this is possible, what would be needed, or even how the system works on those trucks. Any guidance would be appreciated.

For those that ask why. He was in an airplane crash years ago that really did a number on him, especially his legs. He can handle, and enjoys, shifting a manual transmission no problem. The problem is this truck is fairly high off the ground and climbing in and out on uneven, washed out terrain to lock in hubs gets rough. Even more so if the ground is wet and slick when he needs to do it. A lot of the ground in the state, especially at our hunting lease, has a mixture of kaolin and "georgia red mud (or clay)". If you are not fimiliar with either of these kaolin is very slick when wet, and the red mud is very sticky. This combo makes something that's hard to drive on much less walk through. With his leg problem it's even worse, so if auto hubs can be swapped on easily enough...

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
the auto hubs are pulse activated, get some vacuum line, a pneumatic toggle switch and plumb it into the vacuum motor on the passenger side fender well. just needs basically a burst of vacum to activate and another to deactivate.

the system take a full rotation of the tire to engage once activated.

as for the wheel bearing make sure the O-rings are in good shape and the nipple is on the knuckles for the vac line.is there and clean.

a switch like this will work

once plumbed in. flip it on, then wait a sec and then flip it off, drive forward, hubs will engage, do same to disengage.

easier than trying to wire the electronic controller in(my 02 is factory auto hubs) and pretty basic and cheap.(minus expense of auto hubs)

if you want a 12v switch in cab you could try a egr solinoid from a older ford(80s-90s)

basically just a 12v vacumn switch

Last edited:

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The problem with the manual switch idea is that the hubs require full vacuum to engage them and a low level vacuum (5-7in.) to disengage them. That's gonna be tough to do with a manual switch.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Why not just leave the hubs locked in all the time?

waleed020

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
sgsdf
Make / Model
gsdgfdf
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Took replacement coil off and put a warrantied item on, same issue. did i ruin the MAF when i cleaned it, or did the new coil blow my plugs and wires. or?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals