• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fog light switch

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone installed off road lighting and used a factory fog light switch? If so what was involved and are there any diagrams available?

I ask because I when I installed the OEM fogs and valance on my 99, the radio bezel I used was one off an explorer which has an opening for another switch (originally used for rear defrost in Explorer) I'd like to keep a factory look and use a OEM switch if I could.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes it is possible... I assume the fog light switch clicks in and then clicks out?

All you have to do is mount your lights where ever (I assume you are going with High powered Off road only type lights?) In which you will need to hook them to the highbeam cause you don't wanna have them on all the time.

First get a wire splice thing... it allows you to splice two wires together without stripping the insulation. Then find the wire going to your highbeam and splice an extra wire with it and run that wire into the cab. Once you get it behind the bezel for fog lights splice it with the inbound wire into the switch and then splice in a seperate wire with the out bound wire and run that one to a Relay and do the rest of the relay wiring and you should be able to switch on your off road lights with your Fog Light switch when your high beams are on. Your fogs may come on too though... not sure....

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Actually, I was wanting to hook them up independently of everything else and use a separate (2nd) OEM fog light switch.

The Explorer radio bezel I used when I installed the OEM fog lights and valance has an extra opening where, right now, I have a non functional rear defrost switch installed.

I want to swap in a second OEM fog light switch to use with aftermarket off road lights that work independently of everything else. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oh... well if it would fit in the defroster slot, and you know its a selectable switch (as in press it and the button stays contacted). Do it then run a wire from the high beam to the switch and then out to the relay and you should be good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals