• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dave's 2000 Ranger project

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
No, hopefully I won't be an officer or the chief for at least another 10 years.
how is it you have a siren in your truck then ? and how much did that scanner run you ?

fatboyf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey man, you ranger looks great. but you need some more red lights on it. i got you beat 10x. lol

2000RangerXLT

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
how is it you have a siren in your truck then ? and how much did that scanner run you ?
In Ohio you have to have a siren to run red lights. I think spent $160 on the scanner a couple of years ago.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
In Ohio you have to have a siren to run red lights. I think spent $160 on the scanner a couple of years ago.

as in go through red lights or have them on your truck , because in NY only chiefs can have red lights , Firefighters have Blue lights and EMT's have Green Lights

2000RangerXLT

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
Firefighters, Chiefs, and EMT's all run the same color lights on there personal vehicles here in Ohio. The emergency equipment on our personal vehicles also has to be state inspected in order for us to run them.

2000RangerXLT

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
Well I got the cover back from Gillman's Canvas, and I think it looks pretty good? :icon_thumby:

2000RangerXLT

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
New Shifter Knob

So I decided to do something about my annoying rattling shift knob, and I saw this on EBay for $30. Its an Eaton Fuller Roadranger 8LL Valve assy. The Part number is S-2571.

Here is This stock shifter.

And here is the stock shifter disassembled. In order to get the stock knob off I had to use my heat gun on high for a little over a minute and then pull pretty hard before if popped off.

The threaded hole in the Eaton shifter is a 1/2in 13 thread pitch. I picked up grade 5 bolt and nut from TSC; that to my surprise was the same thread pitch as the Eaton knob. The hole in the Rangers stick is just a hare over 3/8in, so the first thing I tried was to grind the shaft of the 1/2in bolt down so that it would have an interference fit in the stick. this proved to be very time consuming and I eventually gave up on that idea.

While thinking about how to attach the Eaton knob I saw a piece of 3/8in All-Thread from a previous project. I found that it fit in the stock stick very well, but I was still stuck on how I would go about attaching the Eaton knob to the All-Thread without modifying the knob too much. An idea finally popped into my head to use set screws to secure the 3/8 All-thread in the stick and the Knob. I got some 8-36 set screws from the hardware store in town. I drilled and taped two holes in the stick and two holes in the knob.

Set Screws

All-Thread in the stick.

All-Thread in the knob.

All put together. Still need to do something with the boot though.

And how it looks in the truck. I was very surprised when I drove it, at how smooth it shifted. Much better than stock.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
i used to have something like that in my truck , only mine was a little more rough , i actually took a spare shifter , cut it down and welded the bolt into it , i still have it , i am gonna find a way to mount the knob in my F-350

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals