• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveshaft Conversion?

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 86 Ranger, losing a 2.9 & A4LD, getting a 302 & C4. It is 4x4 and I am using the original BW1350 transfer case. I have the following drive shafts at my command:

The bottom one is my original. The top one is from a 2003 exploder that is about the right length that I need at 47.5"

These are the lengths that I need for the rear and front driveshafts. The transfer case was moved forward approx 5".

This is my differential and the back of my transfer case.

How do I convert the exploder drive shaft to fit?

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Pretty sure if you're keeping the 1350 and converting to c4 you'll need the advance adapters tail housing for the tranny if you haven't already gotten it. That's when you'll need to get the measurements for the driveshaft. Have you checked out the tech section and see what it says?

Sent from my Alcatel9007T using Tapatalk

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I built the C4 and 302 over the last 7 months. I built up the C4 using a C5 tail housing and output shaft in lieu of the advanced adapters stuff to save money.

Both the C4 and the 302 are already in the truck along with the transfer case on the back of the C4.

Got 47.5" inches between the slip yoke and differential, as the picture above indicates. Found a 2003 4x4 explorer driveshaft in the junk yard today that fits what I need, compressed. I need to convert the explorer driveshaft to fit between my transfer case and differential.

I'm almost done with my swap!

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also. When I put the transmission and engine in, I didn't put it all as back as far as I could.

I could have probably gone another inch. But I don't mind and I went ahead and put a beefed up 4.0 radiator in my core support and got 0.5" clearance between the fan clutch and radiator which will help cooling.

I just gotta get these drive shafts figured out, converting my A4LD linkages, and buttoning up a few other things on the engine. I have hardly any wiring to do because I'm using an F150 computer and my existing harness.

I literally have the driveshafts, tranny cooling lines, power steering lines, vacuum lines, fuel lines, tranny and transfer case linkages, injector harness wiring, putting on the intake plenum and throttle body, battery and starter left, and then a few sensors left.

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And exhaust lol.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Yeah, the c-4 c-5 swap is a good way to go. Was gonna ask that but most people don't do it. Sounds like a really good build. You should've done a build thread so we could all see your work and how you did it. It's like they say, no build is identical lol. I'd say find a shop that can weld your ends on for you if that's feasibly, if not you might have to change the transfer case output shaft and the rear end. Are you still running the stock rear axle or upgraded to the 8.8 explorer?

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Added the link to my build thread in my signature. Hope it works!

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Yes, the link worked fine. That's quite a bit you've got done. Really good job. Sometimes it just takes a whole lot longer then we expect to get there. Glad you haven't given up on her. I will be looking forward to seeing more. Good luck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals