• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quality of work today

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
It seems people or their company are not taking much pride in their work any more these days.

Ex 1:
My house has had a complete new A/C & furance installed last year. First problem was they wired the heat pump wrong. So the heat pump and furance would both try to heat the house. Thats not a good thing. Only one should be working at a time. They fixed it with a remote sensor so the thermostat would control which one would come on depending on the outside temperature. Second problem that I had is the 1st stage of cooling wouldn't work. They told me that it is working properly. Well, today I took the diagrams and looked at their wiring. I found that they forgot 1x jumper wire to install, everything else was correct. Installed the missing jumper wire, now 1st stage cooling comes on correctly and 2nd stage cooling comes on if the house temperature conitunes to raise.

Ex 2:
We have 2x gas meters in our backyard. Both meters have been replaced with their new meters. Later on, we could smell the gas leaking. They come over to look and can't detect the gas. But a work order has been placed in to reseal the pipes. Well today, I could smell the gas leak when I was mowing the yard. I took the garden hose and sprayed the cracked dry dirt around the pipe. I could visual see the gas leaking from the pipe threads. It has been months, and still no fix.

Ex 3:
This from a co-worker. She drives a GMC Jimmy. Well, her brake booster went out. I could tell that from her story that her vehicle brake pedal is hard to push, she has to push hard on the pedal to stop, the engine runs rough at idle (vaccum leak), and that there is whoosh noise everytime she pushes the pedal (vaccum leak sound). She takes it in to have it serviced. The dealership replace the brake booster according to their diagnostic. And charged her over $700 for the fix. Something was wrong with that price. So she showed me the quote. They charged her 5.2 hours for the labor at $100/hr. $120 for the brake booster (aftermarket) and another $120 for a brake system flush. If she would have gone with GM parts, it would have been over $1200. But seriously, 5.2 hrs to replace a brake boost. Last time I replaced one, it took only 1 to 2 hours. Makes me very glad that I do my own repairs.

Ex 4:
This is very common at my work. Quite simply, products need to be stocked on the shelves. Rotate the product, so the older product gets sold first before the newer stuff. So products don't expire. I do just that. But other associates have other ideas. They change the POG around to what they believe looks better, and just put the product they took off the shelf in the stockroom to collect dust. I go back out and arrange the product to be sold before it expires. But they complain about me doing this and then later I get told that I'm not stocking the product. So it is a constant conflict. I have literal a 18wheeler trailer full of my product that needs to be gone. I put it out, some one else gets a different idea, and put the product that I put out back in the stockroom.

Why, that was a lot to type. But at least its off my mind. So please share your stories too.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is relating to Ex 4:
It bothered me also & the product was, get this; fresh meat !!!!!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some peoples motto must be "Just get her Done". I grew up in the time where they had craftsmen/women. Work eithics? Some have no clue. Have two very good friends that do interior painting now since he got let go ten years ago. They have never had to advertise but live on doing a good job and always booked up from referals or repeat customers. They to come from the old school. Way too many people just look for their pay check. I could go on for a long time with examples.
Dave of the Nord

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
My nickname at work is "The Nazi" :icon_confused: because I'm apparently too picky when it comes to CNC programs. Some seem to think +/-.0006" is okay when the tolerance is +/-.0002"

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have too many stories like. i'll just raise my blood pressure and get in a bad mood if i bring them up. just another example of the sad state that our country is in.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My nickname at work is "The Nazi" :icon_confused: because I'm apparently too picky when it comes to CNC programs. Some seem to think +/-.0006" is okay when the tolerance is +/-.0002"
Don't know what you make that is that precise but the sister division in the plant built the fuel controls and governors for mostly GE jet engines. No ifs, and or buts. So many things are inspected by the AI, you want to keep your top AAA rating, don't screw up. Company got tired of GE inforcing the inspection to the 1/4-20 thd that was only use to remove a plunger that they came up with a new thread. Called it a "1/4-20 spiral V groove thread", end of inspections.
Dave of the Nord

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!

Yep.....I hear you....Come to think of it.....CONGRESS has a similar problem with decimal points when it comes to the national debt $15,000,000,000,000.ooo2

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Some place give some really great service...Dunkin Donuts just had an employee arrested for selling sex on the side.....darn....me and the cats went in there that morning....but she had already been arrested earlier that morning......lol

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::yahoo:

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The house I'm currently living in has no vapor barrier between the brick and the drywall. There's water seeping in (obviously) and it's causing mold to grow making my mom, my dogs, and I all sick. Sucks completely. The same masonry company has been coming to the house for the past 5 years, at least once a year, to reseal the bricks. The current owner has owned the house for 3 years, house is about 10 years old. They used crappy blown paper insulation instead of the rolled glass insulation. The problem with the insulation is that 1. It's the cheap way out and 2. Since water is in the walls, the electrical gets wet, sparks a bit into the paper insulation and voosh, fire. I know it's happened at least once because I have a burned outlet here and I'm assuming faulty electrical wiring to go with the faulty everything else here. The house basically has to be gutted and rebuilt from the inside.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I might get bashed for this, but oh well. I've noticed the generation (aka the I-pod generation) that is entering the workforce take zero pride in their work. To some degree, none of us were seasoned properly going into the real world. But these guys are absolutely unseasoned. Ask them to use a hammer, and they need a damn app for it.

Are they no longer requiring vocational classes in high schools?

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I might get bashed for this, but oh well. I've noticed the generation (aka the I-pod generation) that is entering the workforce take zero pride in their work. To some degree, none of us were seasoned properly going into the real world. But these guys are absolutely unseasoned. Ask them to use a hammer, and they need a damn app for it.
I completely agree. There is no longer accountability. It's more about who you know than what you know. It's unfortunate because quality of service and product suffers.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It depends on the company that orders the finished product. Sometimes the blueprint gives leeway on the tolerances.
I admire too picky people who want to "get it right" the first time....It saves $ in the long run-

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Are they no longer requiring vocational classes in high schools?
No, it's worse than that.

They are pulling them to "save money for more important things". At least that's the story we are being given around here.

My kids are gonna be able to count from 7 to 24 before they can walk.

"Kid, daddy needs the 13mm wrench."

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Oh the stories I could tell about workmanship (or rather the lack thereof).....

The part that really drives me up the wall is that so many people don't have a clue what quality is anymore and just go with the cheapest bid. I've had so many people that I have given bids to that come back and say "well so and so said he'd do the job for $$$$ less than you, why are you so expensive?" When you try to explain things and ask what the other guy is actually giving them for that price, you can literally see your words going in one ear, out the other, and falling uselessly on the counter beside them. And whatever you do, don't suggest that they should dare go look at examples of your work and the other guys...... (I always thought that people dropping $12k+ on a car would go look around instead of just picking the cheapest car on the market, why on earth nobody would go look at different concrete driveways before plunking down $20k on one is beyond my ability to grasp.)

It is frustrating to say the least. And a sure way to get my blood to start boiling is when I come to look at a job and right away the "customer" goes "well, you know the economy is bad right now so you have to give a good price....." Uhh.... right..... I'll just go see if Home Depot will buy that line and cut the price of lumber for your job by half....

Frickin Idiots.....

/rant

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
It is frustrating to say the least. And a sure way to get my blood to start boiling is when I come to look at a job and right away the "customer" goes "well, you know the economy is bad right now so you have to give a good price....." Uhh.... right..... I'll just go see if Home Depot will buy that line and cut the price of lumber for your job by half....

Frickin Idiots.....

/rant
Yeah that is probably my favorite one too. I mean, I'm all for getting a good deal and not getting ripped off, but its like you say, you can't do a job for nothing. You have to buy parts and material, and thats all they want to pay for. We have to eat too people :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals