• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap issues

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you are right, Mustang didn't, I think Rangers didn't until 88/89, my bad.

4.0l computer did, and the '87 dash will have a hook up for CEL or MIL(malfunction indicator light) just blacked out and no bulb, but I think wire should be there.

The bulb gets 12volts with key on, the other connection for the bulb is pin 17 on computer, computer Grounds the bulb(pin 17) to turn it on, OBD1(STO) test port wire is spliced to this wire.
The reason you would get 12volts at OBD1 port is because BULB is passing on its 12volts, so no bulb no 12volts at that port.

Which is why you hook up test light to battery "+" and then to Self test output(STO) on OBD1 connector, STO is a Ground

STI(self test input) Pin 48, should have jumper added to get 0volts, normally it will have 12volts

Good look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

moosemeadows

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/85/89
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
RonD So if I understand correctly when I clip a test light to positive battery and put probe into STO the test light should light up whether truck is running or not, correct? What color wire would I be looking for from the dash that would then hook into the STO wire? Thanks again for the insight.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals