• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger Manual T-Case swap

TigerTownRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

I'm looking to swap out my finnicky electronic transfer case with a manual one.

I've been doing some lurking and googling. I think I understand what needs to be done but I need some specifics.

I have a 2000 3.0 XLT with the electronic 4x4 and Rugged Ridge manual locking hubs. Problem is, the electronic 4x4 is really unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, and recently I sometimes hear this strange grinding noise when 4x4 is engaged, it almost sounds like clutch chatter but a lot quieter and more "metallic" sounding from the firewall area.
Instead of paying out a small fortune to throw parts at it or take it to a shop, I just want to swap to a more reliable manual t-case.

From what I've read, this is what I need to do the swap:

A 1354 or 1350 manual transfer case.
The front drive shaft from a 91 Explorer.
Supposedly all the parts are straight bolt on.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it really this straightforward? Will I need a new front Diff, axle shafts, and hubs as well? Also, any tips on installing the new shifter in the truck cabin? I'm assuming its going to require some cutting into my truck's floor to install it.

Any tips would be really helpful, I'm hoping to do this really soon.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Hey guys,

I'm looking to swap out my finnicky electronic transfer case with a manual one.

I've been doing some lurking and googling. I think I understand what needs to be done but I need some specifics.

I have a 2000 3.0 XLT with the electronic 4x4 and Rugged Ridge manual locking hubs. Problem is, the electronic 4x4 is really unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, and recently I sometimes hear this strange grinding noise when 4x4 is engaged, it almost sounds like clutch chatter but a lot quieter and more "metallic" sounding from the firewall area.
Instead of paying out a small fortune to throw parts at it or take it to a shop, I just want to swap to a more reliable manual t-case.

From what I've read, this is what I need to do the swap:

A 1354 or 1350 manual transfer case.
The front drive shaft from a 91 Explorer.
Supposedly all the parts are straight bolt on.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it really this straightforward? Will I need a new front Diff, axle shafts, and hubs as well? Also, any tips on installing the new shifter in the truck cabin? I'm assuming its going to require some cutting into my truck's floor to install it.

Any tips would be really helpful, I'm hoping to do this really soon.

I'm bumping your thread instead of starting a new one.I am planning, and parts hunting, to do a 4x2 to 4x4 conversion on a 2001 2.5L M50D.I prefer a manual shift T case like my '85 Ranger had.The M50D is also going to be a swap from my dead 4R44E.I've been looking at the 93-96 center console for a manual trans and manual shift truck.IIRC,every thing bolts to the tail of the transmission.It's just locating and cutting the holes for the shifters.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals