• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Xj coils for stock ranger height ?

Canadianranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't been successful on finding out what size xj coils I would need to keep normal stock height on my ranger, I want to keep it low center of gravity and really flexible I read most articles on the swap and such but haven't out what coils I'll need 4-3 inch for stock height?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There's a few variables here that will affect height, biggest one being what cab type your Ranger is... A Supercab is going to sit much lower on the same springs than a Reg-Cab Shortbox will (engine can matter too)

However the bigger issue with your plan is how close the axle is to the frame at stock height... You're not going to achieve much flex because of this unless you do something drastic such as notching your frame. A 2-3" lift would provide more clearance for the axle to articulate upward as you drive over a rock, berm, etc.

2-3" lift shouldn't impact your center of gravity to a great degree. If you provide a bit more detail about your truck I'm sure I or someone else can offer up some better suggestions.

Welcome to TRS :beer:

Canadianranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ahh I see what's your b2 lift height? 4L Reg cab long box but I am bobbing it :icon_welder: I guess I'll do a James duff 4 inch lift I like they way they make products look like good quality , kinda want it to be about the same flex as yours / height

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My BII has 5.5" lift (3.5" suspension, 2" body).

JD makes good stuff, though last I checked they only have a 3" and 5.5" suspension lifts (no 4"). Their 3" kit is a decent foundation to build a suspension on, the 5.5" makes it tougher to get the steering linkage lined up properly (not impossible, but at 4" or less lift you at least have some bolt-on options available). Be sure you get their dual-purpose coil buckets if you're looking to swap in different coils (not sure if those are automatically included or optional, I know their non-dual buckets will not accept anything but a (stiff) TTB coil).

The Skyjacker 6" XJ coils (what I run on my BII) I suspect would come out around 4.5" lift on a 4L Reg Cab Long, which should be within range of aligning it on a 4" lift bracket set.

Canadianranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got mixed up with skyjacker lift , going with the jd 3 inch lift and dual shock setup and just gotta find what kind of xj coil will be the closet to giving me a 3 inch lift

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I believe Skyjacker has 4.5" XJ coils now, might be what you're looking for (I would think they'd be ~20½" free length, and 230-240PPI, but I haven't checked)

Broncograveyard has a 3" lift early Bronco coil that might work for yours too (a hair stiffer than the XJs at 18.5" free, 320PPI).

Canadianranger11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I believe Skyjacker has 4.5" XJ coils now, might be what you're looking for (I would think they'd be ~20½" free length, and 230-240PPI, but I haven't checked)

Broncograveyard has a 3" lift early Bronco coil that might work for yours too (a hair stiffer than the XJs at 18.5" free, 320PPI).
So basically the limiting factor is the beam touching the frame when there's no lift , so 3 inch lift maxed out for flex would it touch the frame or will it always have the clearance from the frame after the lift

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Mine will articulate enough to hit the stock (not lowered) bumpstops fairly easily (I didn't check, but I'd almost certainly bet the passengerside-front was resting on the bumpstop in the pic I posted in your other thread).

With it parked level there looks to be about 4.75" between the axle and the bumpstop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals