• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford plans to build Ranger at Michigan Assembly

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
If I'm not mistaken, the global Ranger is marketed in countries that do NOT get the F-series. IF you park this global Ranger next to a new F-150, you'd notice that they're not very far off in size. And if Ford did sell that Ranger here in the US, they wouldn't be very far off in price either. Nor would they be far off in fuel economy. Under current CAFE regs, Ford may not have the room for another truck in their line-up. Believe me I'm no fan of the government telling us what we can and cannot buy, but that's what it is.
So where does that leave the Ranger? I recently read an article that quoted Doug Scott, head of marketing for Ford's truck program. He believes that if Ford were to bring back the Ranger to the US market, it would probably be beneficial if it were a compact truck. Something closer in size to the 1st gen Ranger would be more economical, cheaper to build and buy, and still be nowhere close to competing with the F-150.
We all need to realize that ultimately Ford does not want to sacrifice the popularity of the F-150 to a new Ranger. A mid-size Ranger would probably do just that, depending on powertrain options.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So where does that leave the Ranger? I recently read an article that quoted Doug Scott, head of marketing for Ford's truck program. He believes that if Ford were to bring back the Ranger to the US market, it would probably be beneficial if it were a compact truck. Something closer in size to the 1st gen Ranger would be more economical, cheaper to build and buy, and still be nowhere close to competing with the F-150.
We all need to realize that ultimately Ford does not want to sacrifice the popularity of the F-150 to a new Ranger. A mid-size Ranger would probably do just that, depending on powertrain options.
That is what we had and nobody but the die hard Ranger guys liked it at the end. It doesn't compare with the Taco, Frontier or Colorado.

FillMarr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
255/70/16
I do bet the "global" ranger as they call it is coming to the us. They have to compete with the new Colorado, which I am starting to see everywhere....new silverados too btw.

Anyway, I saw one while in Europe in August. I thought it looked pretty cool:

2003 XLT. V6 3.0 Vulcan. Automatic.152,000 miles, running strong. 31x10.5x15. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals