• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 flex fuel to 4.0ohv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question, what is needed to swap out a 3.0 flex fuel with a early 90s model ranger 4.0 ohv engine? Could I just swap throttle bodies and fuel rail/injectors out and make it work? would the crank sensor and cps work with the computer of the 3.0 flex fuel? I know I have swapped parts from a 3.0 flex fuel with my brothers older 4.0 ohv engine and it ran still, but what about the electronics from the 3.0 being compatible? Someone told me that the flex fuel 3.0 uses 4.0 injectors...if that's true, then wouldn't the fuel ratio be the same?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not understanding what you are doing?

Putting a 4.0l OHV engine and transmission into a 2000 3.0l ranger?
But using 3.0l wiring and computer

3.0l Computer would be hard pressed to deal with the extra air the 4.0l would be pulling in, 4.0l would be pulling in 1 liter more air, 33% increase
Engine computers are programmed for engine displacement so they know the weight of the air being used every 2RPM(4 stroke engine)
3 liter used 3 liters of air, 4 liter uses 4 liters of air, every 2 RPM, depending on throttle position, which the computer also "knows".
Computer bases 14.7:1 air:fuel ratio for gasoline on RPMs and throttle position
MAF(mass air flow) sensor does aid in adjusting that
Then O2 sensors are used to trim air:fuel mix for best Oxygen level in the exhaust

Flex Fuel computers have a wider latitude for fuel ratios, but I think 2000 models needed a fuel sensor on the fuel line to allow them to lower the ratio, ethanol has 9:1 air:fuel ratio

Later model Flex Fuel computers didn't need the fuel line sensor.

Crank sensor is the same, VR sensor, and firing order is the same, 3.0l/4.0l

CPS was changed in the late 1990's on most Ford engines, 3 wire hall effect sensor was used in 1990s, and then changed to a 2 wire VR sensor, they are not interchangeable and there is no "wiring mod", computer needs software for Hall Effect or VR to understand that type of sensor.
So if you have a 2 wire CPS on the 3.0l then you would need to get a 2 wire CPS for the 4.0l

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Ron,
Yeah, what I was wanting to know is how big of a pain it is to put in a 4.0 ohv vs a 4.0 sohc to replace my 3.0 flex fuel. I am just sick and tired of these 3.0 flex fuels. I have replaced the engine 2 times now and it keeps having trouble with the valves and the first spun a rod bearing. I love the 4.0 ohv engine in my brothers 1992 ranger. I just got to thinking about it and started wondering if those engines would run off of all the electronics already in my truck for a 3.0 flex fuel. I didn't think about the extra air intake causing it to confuse the 3.0 computer and causing it to run lean. The cam syncronizer wiring is another issue I didn't think about. I have a 2 wire, so I would need to put one on the 4.0. It sounds like the 4.0 ohv would be about the same as a 4.0 sohc swap. I would probably be better off just changing everything from the donor over to mine and making it easy to just plug in and go. I found a 1992 automatic 4x4 ford explorer with a 4.0 in it and low miles. I was debating on buying it. They only wanted $1100 for it, which seemed like a cheap fix to my truck, but I don't really need another lawn ornament. I would love to put in a 4bt cummins swap, but that swap sounds even more complicated. I love my truck, but I need more power and less problems.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
IMO a 5.0l swap would be better all around, same labor, a bit more in parts cost.
V8 Ranger has some value
Frankenstein 4.0l OHV or SOHC doesn't have much value

You can go out and buy a Stock 4.0l OHV or SOHC Ranger, but not a V8 Ranger :)

The 3.0l Vulcan engine was used in literally millions of Ford cars and trucks, 1986 to 2008.
It has a very good track record for reliability, not for power though, lol.
Surprised you are having those issues.

2002 to 2004 3.0l heads did have exhaust valve issues
Flex Fuel had a different chamber shape in the head and larger injectors but those were the only differences in the engine.
There has never been a one or the other reliability issue between FF or Gas Only 3.0ls

I would either do the V8 swap or fix the 3.0l and sell that Ranger to buy a Ranger with 4.0l OHV, 4.0l SOHC needs to be 2005 or newer Ranger, earlier had the timing chain problems

4bt swap would be great except for the cost, lol

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would either do the V8 swap or fix the 3.0l and sell that Ranger to buy a Ranger with 4.0l OHV
This. Trying to get an OBD1 4.0 to run properly using OBDII 3.0 electronics sounds like an unnecessary nightmare to me. Just buy a Ranger with the engine you want. They made millions of them, and used Rangers are cheap.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals