• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idler Pulley Without Bolt

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I'm tearing into my engine and need to remove the idler pulley to get the timing belt cover off. There is no bolt on the pulley, so I'm at a loss as to how to remove it. Is it pressed on? Do I need to remove the whole bracket that holds the alternator and ps pump? It is pretty growly so it needs replacing anyway. It seems like every time I try to do anything with this vehicle I hit a snag like this and I'm running out of patience fast.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If your idler is like the one I have, it comes off as an assembly. Mine had two mounting bolts and one 'adjusting' bolt. It is mechanically adjusted by moving the idler assembly back and forth.
I conclude you have a 2.3 given the forum. The models with a serpentine belt have a riveted idler that must be replaced as an assembly unless a shoulder bolt can be found, and then the rivet must be removed to disassemble for replacement.
If yours is chirpy or grindy, check on line for a replacement. If serpentine, clean off the gunk on the bracket and get a Ford part number to search for, you won't likely find it by model year & engine combination. The cross reference is mud on this one for older models.

tom

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Thanks for the reply tomw. Are the mounting bolts behind the bracket and threaded into the block? I didn't see a third, but there is a healthy amount of crud on it. The bracket mounts the alternator with a slot so it can swing to adjust tension on the serpentine belt. It's a big chunk of aluminum, does that sound right? I should have snapped some photos last night; I'll try to this evening if I can.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ok, I was able to get the bracket off. Thanks again tomw! I also found why the engine doesn't run right. The edge of the crown of #2 piston has crumbled away. I have a pic but can't post it until I'm at my work computer with photobucket access. So now it's either find a used engine or rebuild this one. Anyone have a ballpark guess at what it would cost to a home the cylinders round? Or could I just slap it together with new pistons and rings and run it? It's going to be my get to work and back car.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
It might be quicker, easier, and less costly to find a used engine or short block. A set of pistons isn't cheap, nor are rings & gaskets. Depending on location, you can get an engine in reasonable condition for $500 or less. A short block should be even less.
I priced parts to do a 260 V8 that had a bazillion miles on it, and it was nearly the same as buying a rebuilt short block from a local auto parts store. They promised a 260, but slipped me a 289. I was happy.
If your pickings are sparse, then you might just do a band-aid job until the seasons change, buying a used piston & rod from a core engine, and replacing just the one. Is kind of expensive gasket-wise & time-wise for the results. To know if you need a complete set of pistons, or just the one, you'd have to measure the bore. You need to know if it is too large for stock size pistons, is is oval and does it have taper. Then you know what it would take to repair properly. It is very easy to spend a lot of money and time for little result.
tom

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
That's' kind of what I was thinking. My neighbor is a retired mechanic, and he said the same, that it's not worth rebuilding just to be a daily driver type car. I haven't checked on used engines locally but I'm sure there's something around. I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open and see what comes up. Thanks again!

A photo of the damage. Kind of hard to see, but the hole is at about 5 o'clock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals