• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Put Non-Automatic Radiator into Automatic Bronco 2

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good point with the warranty. I thought about getting a radiator from the pick a part but I got to thinking if I do that, if there's gunk in that radiator cooler and it comes loose and gets into the transmission it can cause a failure as well. Better to just do it right and buy a new radiator with the cooler in it and be done with it.

Now for a new question, looks like the current radiator is only a single row, I wouldn't mind getting a larger radiator if it would fit, I think the 4.0 engines had the 2 row radiators, any harm in ordering the radiator for the 4.0 engine? Looks like there should be enough room to do so.
Here is a post from another member on swapping the 4.0 rad...I've seen this posted a few times and it seems pretty easy to do...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92834

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have never liked the idea of using the engine cooling system to cool the tranny. The possibility exist of overheating the engine and transmission.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Good point with the warranty. I thought about getting a radiator from the pick a part but I got to thinking if I do that, if there's gunk in that radiator cooler and it comes loose and gets into the transmission it can cause a failure as well. Better to just do it right and buy a new radiator with the cooler in it and be done with it.

Now for a new question, looks like the current radiator is only a single row, I wouldn't mind getting a larger radiator if it would fit, I think the 4.0 engines had the 2 row radiators, any harm in ordering the radiator for the 4.0 engine? Looks like there should be enough room to do so.
Do it.

Most transmission rebuild places require the cooling system to be replaced with the trans for the warranty. Kind of odd they didn't do it when they did the trans.
It depends on the place, and the reason for failure. At Ford as long as the trans didn't fail due to heat we were allowed to just flush the cooler, but it had to be flushed out and flow tested any time a trans was replaced.

One time I installed a Jasper trans that came with an aux cooler that we had to install for the warranty to be honored.

I have never liked the idea of using the engine cooling system to cool the tranny. The possibility exist of overheating the engine and transmission.
There are advantages and disadvantages to this, just like with everything else in this world. Cooling the trans with the engine system does open up the possibility of the engine overheating the trans, although I have never seen it happen. I have seen a few engines die from overheating and the auto trans survive. But doing it that way provides stability to the system. Also, most engines run in the 190-195 range. Most transmissions I have seen stay around 170.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I saw in that link I put above that one of the kits comes with a transmission fluid temperature gauge...I've never seen one...but I've never towed anything or been in any tow trucks with them installed.

Thought it was a good idea especially if you are towing or heavy stop and go...

I would want to put one on...might actually consider this on the Dodge because it's already gone through one shift solenoid and I'd like to try to prevent that from happening again...considering the cost of replacing the solenoid and comparing it with the cost of installing a temp gauge it might be worth the cost/effort.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It depends on the place, and the reason for failure. At Ford as long as the trans didn't fail due to heat we were allowed to just flush the cooler, but it had to be flushed out and flow tested any time a trans was replaced.
We had the trans go out of a service truck here at work, every place we checked (didn't check Ford) required the entire cooling system changed.

Nothing really bad happened, it just lost third gear. It runs and drives normal, the fluid looks good... just a pretty steep jump from second to fourth.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I think I'm going to order the larger 2 row radiator and while I'm at it flush the system and replace the iffy thermostat and add my gauge set. I figured a larger radiator couldn't hurt, more cooling capacity is always a good thing.

Where is the temp sensor? Is it on the thermostat housing? Looks like it is, nevermind LOL.

Where is the oil pressure sensor at on the 2.9L V6, the 2.8L V6 was on the driver's side if I recall, is the 2.9L V6 in the same place? Its a little cold and snowy here don't wanna go crawling around under it right now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals