• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replace camshaft synchronizer?

asomeone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 01 ranger 3.0 2wd with 87,000 that is misfiring on cylinders 1 and 5, again. At 80,000 miles it was misfiring on 1 and 4 I believe, I replaced the coil pack and EGR sensor (was getting a code that it was sticking-whenever it rained it stuck) After I replaced those things the misfires went away. I paid a garage to do it and shelled out 400 dollars and yet I have the same issue less then 10,000 miles later. This time it came back after heavy rain and some dirt trails. Check engine light didn't come on until at least a day of it misfiring. When the light finally came it on was flashing so I pulled over and restarted and it stayed solid. It misfires at all rpm's from startup when cold to normal driving. At 2500 it seems to smooth out and I can drive at that rpm. Above 2500 the check engine light flashes until I bring the rpms back down. I've been doing reading on forums and found the common issue of the camshaft synch failing. I hear what sounds like a squeaking belt but only when I'm on the ground near the rear of the engine, which leads me to believe that it is in fact the snychro. I ran a full diagnostic on a Maximus tablet and It didn't pull up any further issues. Since the issue started while raining im already replacing the coil wires since I figure the Bosch brand isn't really all that reliable. I just don't want to spend the 200 to buy the synchro and sensor unless I know its really that. This is my only vehicle so I drive it with the misfire 20-30 miles a day, no choice, but I'd like it fixed asap for fear of ruining some other parts. Any help would be appreciated

asomeone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the plug wires with motorcraft wires to no avail. Still missing, should I try the coil pack, replace the distributor, or take it into a shop for diagnostics.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you should take it to a shop.
Big Jim

delaware74b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Replace the coilpack. You will find hairline cracks in the coil towers. Cylinders 1 and 5 are on the same coil.

Did the shop use Motorcraft or Autolite spark plugs?

You can buy the OEM Ford coilpack from Advance Auto Parts for around $100.

I had the same issue except it was #3 cylinder when it was damp outside.

The cam synchro usually doesn't cause weather-related misfires. The computer uses the cam synchro for firing the injectors, the crank sensor is used for ignition timing.

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you have the time to mess around, see if you can get a coil pack from a local yard. It should be cheap and will at least tell you if it is yours causing the problem.

If the one you get is bad the failure mode will be different than yours and the yard will take it back or at lease give you credit.

asomeone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I swapped the old wires with brand new motorcraft wires and plugs. When I changed the plugs the truck ran well for about 100 miles. Now the misfires back but the truck is much more driveable. Before power was limited all throughout rpms, lots of takeoff shaking, and very rough idle. Now it misfires on startup and in reverse. Once warm it only misfires slightly and sometimes into low rpms. I was going to get the resistance for the coils this weekend to test for any issues. Do you guys know off hand what the resistance between the coils should be?

Just so there's no confusion it only started as a weather issue but then turned into a constant problem. It is no longer variable with the weather. I have no other codes, when my coil pack went bad last time I at least got a code this time just the misfires.
Thank you guys for your responses I appreciate it.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The only problem with measuring the coil packs resistance is that it can tell you it is bad; but, not always that it is good. The small voltages used to test resistance does not equate with the very high voltages the coil pack puts out.

asomeone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well should I use a spark tester to make sure they all are giving spark?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well should I use a spark tester to make sure they all are giving spark?
I have been told that an old fashioned induction timing light will also do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals