• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel regulator issue

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My truck broke down on the way home from work and seemed to be getting no fuel. I tested the pressure and got 0. When testing the schrader valve it had no fuel in the rail. There is fuel going into the regulator and much pressure. I figured the regulator was bad and have since bought 2 to try and all of them are doing the same thing. Fuel to the regulator but none passing through.

I have a 98 ranger ext cab. 4.0 4wd. Any fast help would be great since I need to get to my sisters wedding in 2 hours :/

Thanks,
Rich

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you changed the part that bolts to the fuel rail on the engine then you did Not change the fuel regulator,because the fuel regulator for your 98 model truck is in your tank mounted to your fuel pump assembly. What you changed is a pulse dampner and it is designed to stop the pulsation of fuel before it gets to the injectors. I hope this information helps you out.I had the same problems with my truck and it was the fuel pump that was bad,I also own a 98 Ranger with the 4.0 ohv v6. http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.0L/how-to-test-a-no-start-condition-1

Last edited:

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you changed the part that bolts to the fuel rail on the engine then you did Not change the fuel regulator,because the fuel regulator for your 98 model truck is in your tank mounted to your fuel pump assembly. What you changed is a pulse dampner and it is designed to stop the pulsation of fuel before it gets to the injectors. I hope this information helps you out.I had the same problems with my truck and it was the fuel pump that was bad,I also own a 98 Ranger with the 4.0 ohv v6. http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.0L/how-to-test-a-no-start-condition-1
I don't know cuz there is alot of pressure on the line to the dampener. But it just won't pass through to the rail. All I know is I need to get it back on the road and this is killing me lol.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
How do you know it is getting to the rail? There is nothing (except the filter) between the pump and the rail. And there is nothing in the rail, it is just a pipe.

So, either the pump isn't, or the injectors arn't (pumping or injecting).

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How do you know it is getting to the rail? There is nothing (except the filter) between the pump and the rail. And there is nothing in the rail, it is just a pipe.

So, either the pump isn't, or the injectors arn't (pumping or injecting).
You're wrong. There is much more than just a pump and a filter. It runs from the pump through the filter. Then feeds up to the dampener. However, It is not making it through the dampener to the rail. But, there is tons of pressure on the line entering the dampener. Not sure why it is not passing through. So basically my whole question is.... Why is the fuel not passing through the dampener into the rail to feed the injectors?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
sounds like you got it pinpointed pretty well, why not replace the fuel rail/ regulator and see what that gets you. I would guess that something broke inside the regulator that is not allowing fuel to pass through or the rail itself is corroded internally where it is not letting fuel through.

Remove the rail and see if you can manually get shop air through the rail and if not, get a junkyard rail and see if that fixes the problem.

there is a slight possibility that your new regulators are both bad as well, but doubtfull. also check to see if the vacuum line to them is good and working properly.

AJ

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like you got it pinpointed pretty well, why not replace the fuel rail/ regulator and see what that gets you. I would guess that something broke inside the regulator that is not allowing fuel to pass through or the rail itself is corroded internally where it is not letting fuel through.

Remove the rail and see if you can manually get shop air through the rail and if not, get a junkyard rail and see if that fixes the problem.

there is a slight possibility that your new regulators are both bad as well, but doubtfull. also check to see if the vacuum line to them is good and working properly.

AJ
Yea It isn't passing through the regulators at all. The vaccuum lines are fine i definitely looked into those first thing. I guess tearing it apart is my only option to see if it is clean enough inside. Thanks for the idea. I will most likely have to do more than I hoped haha.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Don't want to beat on anything; but, fuel does not flow though that fuel rail damper. Take a look, there is an in; but, no out!! That vacuum line is there so that if the damper diaphragm fails it will not blow 60 psi fuel all over the world. And if it did fail, the engine would probably flood out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ranger+fuel+rail+damper&oq=ranger+fuel+rail+damper&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.6660j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8d.
Okay, That makes more sense to me. Then this would make the rail being corroded a more likely situation then. I have fuel passing through the filter. Also, the line at the damper has tons of pressure which drives me to think the pump is just fine. Although, I can't test how much i'd say if it is spraying 8 ft across the yard it's probly a little bit lol.

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
OK, so you have pressure at the rail inlet (how did you test this); but, not at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Is that correct? From where is it squirting 8 feet?

I just find this tough to believe. That is a big pipe and for something to plug up the whole thing it would have to be really big. I'd unscrew the schrader valve from the rail (it is just a heavy duty tire valve) and with plenty of rags, turn the key from off to run (up to three times) and check for fuel.

How did you test that the injectors are firing? Post #9 is an easy way using a simple light bulb. The tread has a pretty good discussion on the whole thing. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?540492-NO-Spark-or-Injectors-not-firing

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
OK, so you have pressure at the rail inlet (how did you test this); but, not at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Is that correct? From where is it squirting 8 feet?

I just find this tough to believe. That is a big pipe and for something to plug up the whole thing it would have to be really big. I'd unscrew the schrader valve from the rail (it is just a heavy duty tire valve) and with plenty of rags, turn the key from off to run (up to three times) and check for fuel.

How did you test that the injectors are firing? Post #9 is an easy way using a simple light bulb. The tread has a pretty good discussion on the whole thing. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?540492-NO-Spark-or-Injectors-not-firing
I meant fuel sprayed from the dampener. I'm not too sure how this whole system works so i'm not sure how the fuel gets to the dampener to build up pressure like it is where the line attaches to the dampener Thanks for the thread I will see what I can figure from it.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I think I understand. Fuel sprayed out when you removed the damper to change it. Is that right? And when you (after having cycled the pump several times) depress the schreader valve on the rail nothing comes out. Is that right? https://www.google.com/search?q=ranger+fuel+rail+schreader+valve&oq=ranger+fuel+rail+schreader+valve&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.16467j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

How it works: Turn key to on, the fuel pumps runs for 2 to 3 seconds (it gets 12 volts from the fuel pump relay) and then the computer shuts if off until the engine gets above around 300 rpm. On a running engine if for some reason, the rpm drops below say 300 rpm the computer shuts off the pump. Not sure if it also shuts off the injectors.

So with engine off, turn key to on, pump comes on for 2 seconds. It does that each time from off to run and increases pressure about 15 pounds in those 2 seconds so it takes about 4 cycles to build pressure from zero even with a new pump.

Go to start and the engine turns over and computer fires plugs and injectors and fuel goes into cylinders. Engine starts and key is back to run and computer turns pump back on when engine get above 300 rpm. It stays on until rpm drops below 300 rpm.

So, you have pump on for two seconds. Have someone turn key from off to run while you listen with your ear to the fuel filler with cap off (you will hear it run). Do that three times. Now depress schreader valve. If there is air in the system you should get air and maybe fuel out of the valve. If you get any air do this until it is just fuel. If you get nothing, then the pump is running; but, not pumping or you are correct, something is plugged up.

If you get fuel out of the schrader valve; but, the plugs are dry after trying to start, it is the injectors, they are not firing (test and look for a bad fuse). If they are wet, you have spark problems.

By the way, if you try to start with the throttle wide open, the computer will not fire the injectors. And also, since you said you were unsure about some stuff, you can go to autozone.com and do the signup thing, they have a really good repair help section.

Last edited:

RB7 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 litre
Transmission
Manual
Spray some carb cleaner in the intake manifold and see if it try's to start if so its a fuel issue if not, it probably an ignition problem which should be checked first before messing with fuel. if you have injector pulse but no spark most likely bad Ignition coil, if no injector pulse most likely crank sensor

Just a note if you test ignition system first then fuel second you eliminate the possibility of a fire.

rich060685

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Spray some carb cleaner in the intake manifold and see if it try's to start if so its a fuel issue if not, it probably an ignition problem which should be checked first before messing with fuel. if you have injector pulse but no spark most likely bad Ignition coil, if no injector pulse most likely crank sensor

Just a note if you test ignition system first then fuel second you eliminate the possibility of a fire.
Already tried starting with carb cleaner and it tried. Has a new coil. Also replaced the rank sensor too. It's definitely a fuel issue since there is no fuel ever getting to the rail and 0 pressure. Just gonna have to check and see if it is plugged up or not. A buddy of mine looked in the slot in rail for the dampener and told me it looked kinda bad. I have another here that looks amazingly clean so i suppose thats the next step once the rain lets up around here.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you got it figured out. Now you just need to fix it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals