• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger front end vibration

billy14870

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 98 ford ranger with 275k miles 6 months ago. Im now at 282k, and I like the truck except for this vibration issue that has occurred since a few months after i bought it.
Its 4wd with pulse vacuums hubs BTW.

One day I was riving on the highway, and out of nowhere the whole truck startd vibrating like crazy. It was definitely coming from the front end. It felt like I was driving over rumble strips. The issue became very frequent.

Later on I discovered that If I switched it into 4wd while it was vibrating, the vibration would be instantly gone. The vibration would almost always start back up even in 4wd. If I would switch it to 2wd, then back to 4wd it would stop the vibration.

After some playing around, I noticed that my drivers side hub was stuck locked in. I decided to remove BOTH pulse vacuums hubs, and leave them out. The vibration was miraculously GONE for about 1000 miles. Then it started back up. A mechanic swore to me that it was ball joints and wheel hubs. So I went home, and replaced all of the ball joints, both front wheel hubs, both outter tie rod ends, both front shocks, upper control arms, & a new camber cam kit. I installed all of these components, then took the truck to get an alignment. This made NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. Still vibrated after I replaced just about everything in the front end. The Only things in the front end that I didn't replace were the inner tie rod ends, the steering knuckles, brakes, and cv shafts. I didn't even put the vacuums hubs in, I just left them out.

A lot of people started to question my 4wd transfer case. So, I bought a used Borg Warner 1354 Transfers case out of another 98 ranger, installed it, and it made no difference.

Finally, after running out of options, I decided to REMOVE both CV shafts from the front end to see what would happen. I puled out both cv shafts, and put it all back together. The truck hasn't vibrated since. I have gone over 2500 miles without vibration.

Winter is approaching, and I need my 4wd to work again, so my temporary fix must be resolved.

What could be going on here?

Im thinking about converting my ranger to the style front end that doesn't use the pulse vacuums hubs.
Also, the cv shaft appeared to be stuck to the wheel hub when I tried to remove it.

:sad:

2006_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like at least one of your front axles were out of balance or bad. I know if theres a lot of play when pulling the axles in and out of the t-case then they are bad and also if they aren't put back in correctly then a front end vibration will occur.

did the splines look good on your CV's?

if these are bad it would give reason to your vibration but Im not sure about the sudden onset. that has me confused some.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals