• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

265/75 R15 optional tire?

MudFlapMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I still have the original sales brochure for my 1998 XLT 4x4 3.0 V6 with 4:10's in the rear axle and noticed on the tire and wheel option chart in the brochure that a 265/75 R15 tire was an optional size. Does anybody else know about this? My sticker on the door says the recommended tire size is 235/75 R15 which look like match box tires on it. Would like to know some more info on this.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I still have the original sales brochure for my 1998 XLT 4x4 3.0 V6 with 4:10's in the rear axle and noticed on the tire and wheel option chart in the brochure that a 265/75 R15 tire was an optional size. Does anybody else know about this? My sticker on the door says the recommended tire size is 235/75 R15 which look like match box tires on it. Would like to know some more info on this.

sounds like a +1 or +2 tire size and would be what you could put on without a lift.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
265s are $$$ tires, ,the door sticker on my truck calls for 265 75 r15 . my speedo was way off with 235s

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I still have the original sales brochure for my 1998 XLT 4x4 3.0 V6 with 4:10's My sticker on the door says the recommended tire size is 235/75 R15 which look like match box tires.
LOOK is the operative word. 265 75 15s are fine for off road. Anything larger is just a fashion statement. Rangers are primarily a road vehicle. Larger tires and lifts compromise their road-ability The diameter is probably around 30" After a lift any larger diameter tires will make the 3.0 even more of a dog than it is already unless you re-gear the diffs . The more you modify your Ranger toward off road, the less road worthy it will be.

Last edited:

MudFlapMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replys and input. I would like to know what Ford did to accommodate the optional 265/75 R15 size tire. I recently took my Goodyear Duratracs 31/10.5/R15 off due to losing my first gear in my transmission. I have a XLT Standard Cab 3.0 V6 4x4 Automatic Transmission with a 4:10 rear axle with 203,000 on the odometer. Rapid Transmission here in San Diego stated that 203,000 on the transmission was actually pretty good mileage for never having a problem until now and having a 31" tire was probably to blame, I somewhat agree with the transmission tech, there's a reason why it says 235/75 R15 on the door sticker..... I purchased new tires yesterday, Goodrich all terrain KO2s 235/75/R15.....I'm just trying to get used to the donut tires now....I did due a torsion bar lift about 10,000 miles back with extended rancho shocks in the front when I put 31's on it, at least it's still sitting level!

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine was shod w/ 265's from the factory. They're just under 31" tall, so they got replaced with 31's.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
^^
Ditto on mine. running Falken 31's now. in 97 the "off road package" had the 265's and a two inch lift from the factory. I think this was the equivalent of the FX4 Level II that came along a few years later.

A note tho... the spare is still the 235, and I do not believe that the 265 or 31 will fit in the 97 and older style spare carrier...

AJ

Noflers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
^^
Ditto on mine. running Falken 31's now. in 97 the "off road package" had the 265's and a two inch lift from the factory. I think this was the equivalent of the FX4 Level II that came along a few years later.

A note tho... the spare is still the 235, and I do not believe that the 265 or 31 will fit in the 97 and older style spare carrier...

AJ
That's a good point. Does anyone know the biggest tire that'll fit in the spare holder?

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
235 looks like it's wedged in pretty tight.

Not sure why they offered a tire size on a truck that couldn't hold a matching spare...especially a 4x4 with limited slip in the rear. Makes for quite the pain in the ass if a rear tire goes flat. lol

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The sales brochure saying that an optional setup or accessory was/is available does not mean it will fit your truck without other changes. Sort of like fog lights. Yep, they were available; but, you can't just put them in the bumper cover and have them work. You still need all the other stuff that makes them work.

Sure, you can put bigger (or for that matter smaller) tires on anything and they will go around and the truck will go down the road. But, without other changes (like to what drives the speedo, wheels, etc.) it will have consequences that you need to take into consideration.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The sales brochure saying that an optional setup or accessory was/is available does not mean it will fit your truck without other changes. Sort of like fog lights. Yep, they were available; but, you can't just put them in the bumper cover and have them work. You still need all the other stuff that makes them work.

Sure, you can put bigger (or for that matter smaller) tires on anything and they will go around and the truck will go down the road. But, without other changes (like to what drives the speedo, wheels, etc.) it will have consequences that you need to take into consideration.
Good point. Guess we got jumpy and forgot to include that bit of info. lol

For instance, if you have highway gears, I wouldn't want to put 31's on. Seems most that came with 265's from the factory had 3.73 gears installed and 8.8" rears. (Maybe 265 was a 4.0 only option?)

31's do work well on the stock 15" deer hooves, though. :)

MudFlapMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
+Jeremysdad+
I contacted Ford about the 265 tire option, you are right, it was only offered to 4.0 models with 3.73 gearing.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+Jeremysdad+
I contacted Ford about the 265 tire option, you are right, it was only offered to 4.0 models with 3.73 gearing.
'93's were ORP before it was cool. lol

ORP begat Fx4, begat Fx4II, etc...

You contacted Ford for that bit of info? Interesting...lol

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
so this is why my 93 4.0 4WD with 265's gets such good gas mileage?

edit;
compared to the AWD VAN I had

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most times when a Ranger gets good mileage it is because the owner failed at mathematics.
Big Jim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals