• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

noise dignosing

dirty jersey ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so i just finished replacing my clutch slave cylinder TOB and pilot bearing.
i did all this because i was getting rattling noise one that would go away once the clutch pedal was depressed ( tell tail indication that my TOB is bad) well once the tranny was down i inspected the TOB and yes it was bad very bad. reinstalled every thing started it up and boom the noise is still there not as loud but still consistent with what it was before the replacement.
I am running low on things it could be , any help would be appreciated .
Ford Ranger 4.0 v6 5speed m5od tranny .

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
how's the level and condition of transmission fluid?

maybe the noise before the TOB was changed was the sum of TOB noise + transmission noise. now with new TOB only the transmission noise remains.

dirty jersey ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i'll check the trans fluid. i guess i didnt bother with it because i was set on the noise being caused by the TOB

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
A very long time ago, I had a Ford that had a TOB rattling. Replaced the throw out bearing and it was still there, a little different: but, still there. Took it apart again and found the clutch plate springs were loose. Just weird, right.

dirty jersey ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
that is wired. you say clutch springs are you talking about the ones on the pressure plate or the ones on the cover plate? the springs on my cover plate looked pretty beat up as the ones on my pressure plate looked in good condition .

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
that is wired. you say clutch springs are you talking about the ones on the pressure plate or the ones on the cover plate? the springs on my cover plate looked pretty beat up as the ones on my pressure plate looked in good condition .
In that old Ford, the springs in the plate were loose and rattled around, so when you pushed the clutch in it made noise. Not saying that is what is wrong in your case, just that there is more than the TOB in there that can make noise.

dirty jersey ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
In that old Ford, the springs in the plate were loose and rattled around, so when you pushed the clutch in it made noise. Not saying that is what is wrong in your case, just that there is more than the TOB in there that can make noise.
yeah i understand, mine makes the noise while in gear and not when the clutch is in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals