• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Had a small fire; Missing parts

Gems360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Long-Bed
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Between all of us, we should be able to figure it out..
First off, hello fellow ranger fans! This is my first post, and it is unfortunate that it is under these circumstances!

I should mention that my truck is a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT, with the engine from a 1990 Ford Explorer in it. The replacement engine is the same size as the original, 4.0L v6.

My ranger caught on fire this past Sunday. The cause, as far as I can tell, stems from two frayed spark plug wires (They were replaced about 1000 miles ago, not quite sure what compromised them) arcing together. This, in addition to some sort of fuel line being brittle to the point that it apparently sprang a leak or popped off, caused a small fire in the vicinity of the coil pack. I quickly put the fire out with a dampened bandanna, had it towed to a safe location, and rigged it up well enough to drive 40 minutes home. Very nerve-wracking ride.

But to the point of the matter, I have decided not to press my luck with this sort of thing. In the fire, a couple of hoses burned up to the point of being unidentifiable or completely gone.
I have attached two photos, one of which shows a threaded connector going under the manifold and a small black nozzle (Right and up from the threaded connector in the picture) which shoots out fuel, guessing it's connected to the fuel pump. (I'm not a mechanic, if that wasn't clear.) The other picture shows some sort of connector, the melted hose was at one time connected to the threaded connector, and the part that looks like some sort of inline fuel filter I'm assuming was connected to the fuel-pump-nozzle-thing. What I really need is the names of these parts, and if there is anything special that I need to do for the fix.

When I rigged it to drive home, I simply connected a fuel-line from the fuel-pump-nozzle to an adapter to another fuel-line to the threaded connector. Got me home but ran like shit unless the pedal was either half-way to the floor, or not pressed at all.

I've gathered that I may need a fuel line quick connector in order to properly make the repair? If you fine ranger fans could help me figure out what to call the parts that need replacing, I should be in your debt!

Last edited:

Kendellgil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do yourself a favor and just get a new engine bay wiring harness, it will save you lots of time cutting and soldering new wires in place of all that melted stuff.

skoal777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the bottom photo with the threaded inlet i think should have a shrader valve in it an have a cap on it like a valve stem on a tire. it is simply the check fuel pressure and to release pressure from the system. if that is what you hooked your fuel line to from the pump than i can understand why it ran so bad. its because your fuel is not getting regulated at all your just running full pressure all the time. the top photo i am unsure where that vacuum line goes because i dont know where its located on the motor.

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I also spy a fuel injector with no wires plugged in... would also account for shitty running.

I second the motion to buy a replacement harness.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i would also pressure wash the engine bay to get rid of excess oil and such. +3 on the wiring harness

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals