• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Left rear drum dragging

virgilbg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
F*&k Em All
First off let me apologize to anyone I may offend because this is my first post and I have not established myself as a member. On to the problem.

1989 2.3L XLT RWD
Rear left drum drags.
Parts that have been replaced:
Master Cylinder (it was bench bled), RABS Valve, complete (minus backing plate) rear drum rebuild. I used a mightyvac to help me bleed the system may still need to do it again... The pad adjuster on both wheels (starwheel) are currently all the way in until I figure out the brake drag.
I have removed both parking brake cables to try and remove that from the probable faults. I have a rear hose (the center rubber hose) on order should be here in the hour to change next.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

virgilbg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
F*&k Em All
The rest of the story... If you want to know. Wife Bought the truck for my son to use because he joined the CCC (California Conservation Corp). The brake pedal had no resistance to it. Had to change the front brakes after I found them worn to the metal. After I did that the pedal still had nothing to it. Went on a search and found the rear drums missing parts and obviously not working. After replacing the drums, pads, and spring hardware the truck had no change. Tried to bleed the system only to find the RABS Valve bad. Changed that and re-bled system. Then took it to a Firestone trying to have them help me adjust the rear drums and power bleed the system but they found the wheel cylinders leaking and the master leaking. Replaced them as well. Still drags... I'm really at a loss right now.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you leave off the adjuster cable? It's a piece of twisted wire with a O on one end and a piece that looks like a rocket ship and spring on the other. If that is miss routed or the spring is weak it could cause the problem.

Here is a diagram http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg267/herman391/Graphic.gif
Let us know if it the same as what you have. I was looking at 02 ranger.

Last edited:

virgilbg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
F*&k Em All
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Here's what I got.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I have/had the same issue. I think master cylinders have something inside that gets blocked & causes pressure build up making brakes drag.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
yep, some parts don't fit as good as they should.
check that the shoes contact the big center pin at the top, and the adjuster is turned all the way in, parking brake arm pushed away from center. smack the drum a couple times to center everything, then turn the drum a bit, pull the drum off and see where it was rubbing. I used a body file, has wide curved teeth, and customized the shoes if the rub was at the top. for the bottom I filed the notch in the adjuster to get the shoes closer together.
oddly, during prep and placing the shoes inside the drum they seem to match exactly, but once mounted I've had issues several times.
be sure the cross bar is in correct, its easy to screw that up.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
deleted, didn't look at pic good enough.

Last edited:

virgilbg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
F*&k Em All
in the pic the adjuster is not contacting the front shoe correctly.
This is a pic after the first time I installed everything. I have since taken everythingout and reinstalled it. But I will try and look at everything tomorrow and take pictures of the brakes and drums as they sit. I received the rear brake line but my frustration has lead to some Jim Beam so tomorrow I will change the rear rubber line take pictures and let you all know. Keep the suggestions coming.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is a pic after the first time I installed everything. I have since taken everythingout and reinstalled it. But I will try and look at everything tomorrow and take pictures of the brakes and drums as they sit. I received the rear brake line but my frustration has lead to some Jim Beam so tomorrow I will change the rear rubber line take pictures and let you all know. Keep the suggestions coming.
remove the spreader bar and see if it still drags. if it doesn't drag once removed the e brake cable is stuck and or spreader bar was not installed correctly.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The Rat's dragging rear brakes were due to frozen brake cables. A pinched hard line may do it too. How are the brakes first thing in the morning?

virgilbg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
F*&k Em All
The Rat's dragging rear brakes were due to frozen brake cables. A pinched hard line may do it too. How are the brakes first thing in the morning?
Unfortunately I have not been able to drive it. I didn't know the rears wen't working until I took the drums off trying to diagnose the soft pedal. After I replaced the drums and pads the pedal was still soft so I figured that the system would need bled. When I tried to do that no fluid was coming out. Found the RABS Valve bad.

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry I have nothing worthy to contribute to this post...

As a side note it has become very informative and has given me a better understanding of the drum brakes.

Thanks to all that have contributed and I wish the OP good luck in this endeavor.

A little helping hand from Jim, Jose or Jack sometimes helps but only a little during this important task.

Ray

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question about your original post and problem. First is the picture you posted of the right brake? If not it is put together backwards. The long end of the adjuster goes toward the front of the truck and the adjuster is on the rear side. Like the diagram in the earlier post. Now with that out of the way!

Are you saying that with the adjuster star wheel screwed all the way in the shoes drag on the drum after assembly? How bad do they drag? A lot, a little?

The reason I ask, is when I replaced the original brake shoes, springs and cylinders on my 02, 2wd, Ranger both drums were hard to get over the new shoes. Once on there, they had a lot of drag. After bleeding the brakes there was still some drag. More than I thought it should have. After I double/triple checked everything (took the drums off twice), I said the hell with it and drove it. I did check the drums for overheating with a first few short trips. You know drive a couple of miles check drums, drive a few more check drums, etc. When the drums didn't get hot (too hot), I forgot about it. That was some 10k miles ago. I think the shoes were just a little over sized. Drum brakes with self adjusters always seem to drag a little anyway.

Last edited:

virgilbg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
F*&k Em All
I have a question about your original post and problem. First is the picture you posted of the right brake? If not it is put together backwards. The long end of the adjuster goes toward the front of the truck and the adjuster is on the rear side. Like the diagram in the earlier post. Now with that out of the way!

Are you saying that with the adjuster star wheel screwed all the way in the shoes drag on the drum after assembly? How bad do they drag? A lot, a little?

The reason I ask, is when I replaced the original brake shoes, springs and cylinders on my 02, 2wd, Ranger both drums were hard to get over the new shoes. Once on there, they had a lot of drag. After bleeding the brakes there was still some drag. More than I thought it should have. After I double/triple checked everything (took the drums off twice), I said the hell with it and drove it. I did check the drums for overheating with a first few short trips. You know drive a couple of miles check drums, drive a few more check drums, etc. When the drums didn't get hot (too hot), I forgot about it. That was some 10k miles ago. I think the shoes were just a little over sized. Drum brakes with self adjusters always seem to drag a little anyway.
Yes that is a picture of the right not left side. I was showing the setup that I had and not the problem drum.
I'm in the garage right now and will be pulling the rear soft line and replacing it. Also I am going to try and see which pad is dragging because the wheel spins in on direction and will drag in the other. (Can't remember which way at this moment) Unfortunately the drum does overheat so just driving it is out right now. I was hoping that when I removed the park brake cables that would be the issue but sadly no... Here I go!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Probably not the flex line as it would affect both sides...but changing it is always good when they are old. Once that is done if the problem is still there then let us know...rear brakes are not hard to do and usually just something simple can cause problems...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals