• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interior swap

Tonytitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a '98, very vanilla, no power options Ranger. There is a '99 wrecked Ranger with full power doors and a full black interior available that I want to swap into/onto mine. If it's other than just a straight dismantle/reassamble swap, what issues am I facing?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hi Tony and welcome to TRS~!

As long as they are both the same cab style (reg vs ext) then it should be a direct swap since the cabs from 98 up are similar.

The only thing you may need to change is the harness that runs to the doors to power the windows and locks but I think they pre-wired everything in so they could outfit any options...but I could be wrong.

Thing to do would be to get the whole truck and then you can swap whatever you want as needed.

The only thing you really need to be careful about is the PATS (passive anti-theft system) but if you ware swapping in the whole dash that would fix it all in one shot...this was installed on Rangers built between 1998-2001 so those two years (99 and 98) are in that group.

If you run into problems there are ways to work around them...but the best thing is to swap out everything needed like the dash and the steering column...but if you are swapping interiors to make them a different colour then that would be part of the swap anyway.

I couldn't find anything in the Tech Articles on this but you can learn more from the following link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-pats.234975/

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would just try to keep your swap to the shell, keep your electronics.

I know somewhere in there they monkeyed with the speedo drive too.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I would just try to keep your swap to the shell, keep your electronics.

I know somewhere in there they monkeyed with the speedo drive too.
Oh, right...that too...I'd have to search on that one...

Another option that I don't recommend but some have done is...painting the vinyl parts.

The dash I swapped into my 88 was from a 96 and the previous owner had painted everything inside the cab. It was a pretty decent job but when I got the truck it was chipped in many places...looked really bad but he dash was still in good shape so maybe his kids were not allowed in the front seat...:)

Tonytitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you run into problems there are ways to work around them...but the best thing is to swap out everything needed like the dash and the steering column...[/url]
I have a 5-speed. The providing truck is an automatic. Not sure if has PATS active. Hadn't planed on swapping steering columns. Is this a problem?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I have a 5-speed. The providing truck is an automatic. Not sure if has PATS active. Hadn't planed on swapping steering columns. Is this a problem?
Not sure to be honest...probably someone more familiar with the system can answer that if it isn't in the documentation in the link.

I will have a look at the link later and see if the door locks are tied into the PATS system...that would mean you need to at least swap over the ignition cylinder and the PATS module from the column and as long as nothing was changed in that area it would be easy enough.

EDIT: That means you wouldn't have to swap the whole steering column...but that is probably the easiest part since it is bolted to the dash and there is a swivel disconnect just inside the firewall that would allow you to swap the inside parts as needed...the shift indicator may be something you can delete with a trim cover but I can't remember how that worked on mine (which is very similar to the 98 dash).

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK...I just read through a bit more of the comments...apparently the PATS controls the door locks and tailgate if applicable. It is also programmed into the PCM of each truck so you would probably need to swap that part also...but there may be a compatibilty issue with the PCM because I have seen where there can be one PCM for manuals and one for Automatics.

So in order to use anything from the other vehicle you would need to consider using the PCM, doors, tailgate and you'd need to see if the module on the steering column could be swapped over as well...or swap the entire steering column over.

A bit more work involved but...sounds like it is something that can be done. You can probably also consider just reprogramming the module on your truck to take the new keys if your old ones don't support the power options...but i don't see why they wouldn't unless the fobs are completely different...

If nobody else chimes in that can answer this more directly you might want to speak with a Ford Tech at a dealership or a locksmith...but that could cost you some money.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So in order to use anything from the other vehicle you would need to consider using the PCM, doors, tailgate and you'd need to see if the module on the steering column could be swapped over as well...or swap the entire steering column over.
It is a truck, you can take the tailgate off and throw it in a ditch and it won't care.

I wouldn't change anymore than you have to. Being an easy to match color (black) I would just paint your steering column covers to match and leave the column alone.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It is a truck, you can take the tailgate off and throw it in a ditch and it won't care.

I wouldn't change anymore than you have to. Being an easy to match color (black) I would just paint your steering column covers to match and leave the column alone.
True...

Just trying to make sure the PATS parts are in place...nothing like spending all that time and finding out something was missing...and not being able to drive the truck until that is fixed.

If it was my truck I would forget the power locks/windows and just swap over the trim until I had everything figured out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals