• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine bay wiring and hoses

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 86 bronco II eddie bauer. I wanted to try and figure some things out that have been changed by previous owner. Things were cut, rerouted, and other odd stuff. I'm not real familiar with b2's or the 2.9 engine. Maybe some of you who are in the know can take a look at these pics and tell me whats suppose to go where and what is missing.

The first pic shows driver side engine bay. The thing circled in red is missing something. The blue circle has a yellow wire that goes through firewall, spliced into a red wire. Then there are a few wires circled in yellow that are cut, and a connector that isn't plugged into anything.

In the below image you can the ac system is wired funny.. There is an adjustable thermostat that looks like it doesn't belong. The orange wire is traced over to the compressor. The other wire, yellow, goes through fire wall, im guessing to the ac switch? The thermostat sensor is shoved into the black housing, i'm assuming contains some kind of ac coil? and from other photos i've looked at in the forums there is something missing out of the black housing, the top hole circled in blue.

In the below image there's a plug on the passenger side not plugged into anything.

Any help appreciated!

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well don't you just love an electrician wannabe with a hatchet. The black housing would have the evaporator for the A/C in it with the 2 connectors sticking out of the 2 holes, 1 on top and one on the bottom. You should also have the A/C accumulator connected to the top The connector in yellow looks like it could connect to a relay. I will post a few pictures of some B2's from the internet. The first one is a 1986 and the second is a 1988. Hopefully someone with an original 1986 will chime in.

Attachments

Grenade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 BII, still in relatively original condition. My harness was kind of messed up, too, but I've managed to reattach most of the crap that got cut up. I'll go through it tomorrow with your pictures as reference. As far as that black connector on the passenger side fender, that's a socket for one of the relays. I think the ones on that side were ECM relay, AC relay, possibly headlight relay, but I honestly don't remember. Your AC system is definitely missing the receiver/drier, and probably the lines to the condenser up front. Even money that the evaporator behind that plastic housing is rotted up with rust, if it's even still in there.

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I have a manual I could look through that probably has that relay. The bottom line is still coming out of the evaporator. Really confused how that works ha... not looking forward to opening up that. This is probably going to turn into a can of warms. Funny, the ac works, but I noticed that water condenses on the lines and leaks inside the vehicle, maybe thats why?

Thanks again for the help, definitely need it. :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The topmost connector circled in yellow is a factory plug for something your vehicle didn't have. All 4 of my 1st gen vehicles have had it and none of them had whatever it was for either, so I don't know what it was for.

The bracket is for an alarm horn. The two cut wires near it were probably for the horn.

The plug on the driver's side by the relays is not for a relay. It looks like it belongs to the factory AC system that someone really "presidentially re-engineered".

I can't figure out how you have a working AC system when a 1/3 of it appears to be missing, but if an after market evap core was installed where it doesn't belong that would explain it leaking lots of water inside the cab. The lines are supposed to get condensation on them. That "thermostat" is part of whatever was done to the AC.

The relays along the passenger side fender are as follows:

Brown is PCM power,

Green is fuel pumps

Black is WOT AC cutout.

There is no headlight relay on an 80s Ford.

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the insight. From what I can tell the only thing missing from the ac is the evap core. I have the dryer/receiver. I have a clymer manual showing it by the evap core, I guess its been relocated... It now sits up by the radiator. There is also a small oil cooler or maybe an evap sitting in from the the condensor that sits in front of radiator. You mention the plug on the drivers side, but I assume you mean the one on the passenger being for the ac system. Where does it go? Am I missing a component by those relays on the passenger fender?

dryer sits bottom right in pic.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals