• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EECIV Test code help

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
I pulled the KOEO codes on my 86 b2 but i'm having trouble understanding them. The koeo codes are 34 and 67, the memory codes are 63 and 32. I read the odb1 2digit codes listed here and they are as follows:
34 EVP - (R) EGR did not respond properly during test - EVP
EVR - (O, R, M) EVP sensor is/was high - EVR
PFE - (O, R, M) PFE sensor is/was out of range - PFE

67 Park/Neutral circuit fault - PNP
Transmission Manual Lever Position (MLP) sensor circuit - Transmissions
(M) Intermittent Park Neutral Position (PNP) sensor fault - PNP

63 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) signal too low TPS

32 EVP - (R) EGR not responding properly during test - EVP
EVR - (O, R, M) EVP signal is/was low - EVR
PFE - (R, M) PFE shows low pressure, EGR not seating or memory, not seating intermittently - PFE

I'm assuming code 63 doesn't matter because I did not do the throttle open test as i'm only one person with no extension cable. I'm just confused. Each code has more than one possibility. Can someone clarify it?
If it helps, i'm trying to diagnose my engine, it surges and misses after driving a bit.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lets start with 67 Park/Neutral circuit fault - PNP
If you have an automatic then on the transmission just above the shift rod there is a NSS(neutral safety switch) screwed into the transmission
Looks like this: http://transpartsdirect.com/images/products/56991 SWI (Large).jpg
It is a plunger type switch
In Park and Neutral this switch sends 0volts to Computer(EEC), In Gear it sends/passes 5volt to EEC
Check connector and its wiring, also see if NSS is tight

63 is not the Goose Test code
So you will need to get a volt meter and sewing needle to test TPS
Key ON Engine off
Top wire should show 5volts
Middle wire .69 to .99 volts with throttle closed, above 4.5volts throttle wide open(WOT), voltage in between should be stable but increase as you open throttle manually

EGR(exhaust gas re-circulation) system has 3 parts
EGR Valve on the intake manifold
EGR sensor, on or near EGR Valve
EGR solenoid, solenoid gets 12volts with key on, EEC controls its Ground

EGR solenoid will have a 2 wire connector and 2 vacuum lines
1 vacuum line goes to the EGR Valve, the other to the intake manifold.
Check connector and check each vacuum line for leaks.
Use 12v and Ground to solenoid, see if it "clicks" open, 9volt battery works too.

Put longer vacuum hose on EGR valve, start engine and let it idle
Suck on the vacuum hose to open EGR valve, engine should start to stumble and should die if you hold EGR open long enough.
If EGR Valve doesn't hold a vacuum then replace it
If idle doesn't change then replace it

If all above works then replace EGR sensor

Last edited:

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron, Really needed that, especially the EGR. I'm going to start testing. Right after Coffee. :D

chris78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.6l
Transmission
Automatic
So far i've gone through the egr vacuum hoses. Between the egr valve and sensor, there was a small crack at the nozzle. I have the red and green tubes with vacuum canister. The red tube looked dryed out in one spot. I replaced those two with standard vacuum tubing. The solenoid is bad I believe. I couldn't get it to click even after I removed it and hooked it directly to batt. Its a ford part and the cap comes off I might tinker with it, but probably going to replace that next.

The egr valve it self i'm not sure about. I didn't have enough suck power to make it do anything! :icon_rofl: but I did hook it to the intake manifold bypassing the vacuum canister. The engine acting like it was going to die so maybe its ok. I'll go with the solenoid and finish up the vacuum lines. Most everything works with 7/32 tubing but the egr valve wants smaller tubing unless you push it over the stop. The solenoid could probably use 5/32, i'll see what I work out.

I also tested the tps, not sure on it. I tested from batt ground to the top and got .69v. from batt ground to middle I got 1.08v, and with throttle open I got 4.51v. Seems ok, there did seem to be a dead spot as throttle passed 3/4 mark but could have been my meter.
Thanks again for the help, maybe this will solve my issues.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals