• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to: replace valve cover gaskets, fuel rail gaskets and lower intake gaskets

BaconSammich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I am having this same coolant leak problem. 2000 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L V6 OHV.

I want to get all Ford parts but am getting conflicting information on the part numbers and am not even sure that the ones I have only 1 number for a re correct. Can anyone that knows for sure verify or supply correct numbers?

I want:

Valve cover gaskets
Ford Part # F87Z-6584-AA

Lower intake maniflod gasket (source of leak)
Ford part # F7TZ-9E439-AA

Intake manifold to fuel rail gasket?

I have 2 numbers for this part. Most of the diagrams I have found do not even show the fuel rail gasket.

Ford part # F57Z-9E436-AA
Ford part # F6TZ9E436C

Fuel rail to air intake (3 rubber things)
Ford part # F57Z-9E436-AA

May do head gaskets as I had depressing results from leak down testing, 35%-65% but the engine was cold as I've had it torn down for a few weeks and cannot start it now without some reassembly.

Ford part # F5TZ-6051-A or YU3Z6051BA Left side?

Ford part # F5TZ-6051-B or YU3Z6051AA for right side?

Can't find a number for the fuel injector o rings but I need 12.

Thermostat
Ford part # YU3Z8575BA

Thermostat gasket or O ring?
Ford part # E6TZ8255A or F87Z-8255-DA?

Radiator cap
Ford part # E9SZ8100A

Push rods
Ford part # FOTZ6584B or FOTZ 6565 A?
On this I have seen them listed around $4 and also as a 4 pack for the same price and I would like to just do them all for that price. Does anyone know if I will be getting 12 or just 3 if I order "3"?

Rocker arms
Ford part # FOTZ6564A

This is listed as a "gasket set, valve grind".
Ford part # F87Z-6079-AA
I am wondering what is in it as it may save me some money to buy this instead of several other gaskets piece by piece but the description gives no information and when I called the recording told me to email and wait :sad: I am borrowing a car from a friend while my truck is down and I don't want to wait.

I am getting deeper than I may need to and I know that but I would like to replace the rings while I am in this deep anyway. Can that be done without splitting the crankcase and with the engine still in the truck?

I have already removed the radiator, fan and clutch, serpentine belt, alternator, battery, airbox, intake manifold with fuel rail, valve covers, plugs and wires, power steering pump, AC compressor is still attached to refrigerant lines but otherwise loose. The truck just has no umph and I would like to get that out of this.

Does anyone run NKG plugs in theirs? I can get them for a good deal at work if there is a crossover.

I have found a decent deal on Ford parts through Ford Parts Giant and Blue Springs Ford Parts. Anyone have experience with either of these 2 sources or a referral to another?

Thanks, I know it's a lot to ask but am hoping that a few of you guys could offer some input here or there. I've been working on this outside of work for 3 weeks. Yes, I am slow. I just moved to TN and left most of my tools in KS. I'm more of a motorcycle mechanic than a car mechanic. This stuff is dirty :shok:

Last edited:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Any Reason that you want to go all ford parts for this? I totally understand the reason for the lower gasket, as it is a much better made gasket than any of the aftermarkets from Felpro etc (or was 7 years ago when I did this). the part number I have listed for that was from Ford. ( F7TZ-9E439-AA )

pretty much everything else I got from FelPro and have not had an issue. the rubber o-ring gaskets are a direct no fuss fit, ditto for the fuel injector gaskets. the fuel rail to lower intake was also a no fuss fit.

the valve cover gaskets from FelPro where made rigid with plastic, and the OEM Ford ones were made rigid with metal. so since the originals on my truck deteriorated even with the metal (plus the valve covers themselves rusted out!) I decided to try the FelPros. after 7 years I am starting to get oil leaks again, but I have been able to snug a few loose valve cover bolts and all is well. I will probably tear it down again and see if my valve covers are holding up and see if the plastic gaskets are doing their job and it just needs a re-torquing of the bolts.

The Head gaskets, I haven't gone down that road (hope I don't ever have to... the exhaust manifold bolts on my truck look like they will snap if I even think of trying to loosen them) but I would probably err on the side of caution and get OEM Ford for those. Don't forget to get new head bolts, as you shouldn't reuse the old ones (torque to yield)

another thought... the 5 dollar o'reilly thermostat is waaay better than the pos oem ford thermostat...

be sure to inspect your valve covers themselves... mine had rust holes all around the edge where it bolted to the head.

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rockauto has good prices on Motorcraft parts, go to the vender section and there is a 5% discount code. Watch the freight, if they get multiple warehouses involved it can become a gamechanger.

Fel-Pro is good gaskets, I wouldn't question them.

Fords typically don't like NGK plugs, I would stay Motorcraft there.

Last edited:

BaconSammich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Any Reason that you want to go all ford parts for this?
AJ
I went to Autozone and had them quote me. They didn't have any of it would have to order them. I went to the local Ford dealership. They didn't have them either. I looked online at the places mentioned above and could get Ford parts for a hair above the aftermarket stuff and figured it would be best.

When I was cleaning my valve covers I noticed that the paint was coming off of them as I cleaned. Are they steel? Should I paint them? I am not paint savvy. How would I get the plastic parts off without damaging them? Do I paint the insides too? Think those were bare metal? I hope that stuff isn't rusting in the garage now that I stripped all the crud and oil off. If I pull the heads I will get new bolts, I did not know that was a 1 time use item. Thanks.

My Exhaust bolts look a little rusty, hell the header is rusty. If I had the money I would love to get something aftermarket/new/clean.

BaconSammich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Rockauto has good prices on Motorcraft parts, go to the vender section and there is a 5% discount code. Watch the freight they, if they get multiple warehouses involved it can become a gamechanger.

Fel-Pro is good gaskets, I wouldn't question them.

Fords typically don't like NGK plugs, I would stay Motorcraft there.
I will check out RA, thanks.

OK, I will avoid the NGKs here.

BaconSammich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This is listed as a "gasket set, valve grind".
Ford part # F87Z-6079-AA

Can anyone tell me what parts are in this kit? Thanks

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Yep, they are steel. They should be fine in your garage unless you are storing them in a bucket of salt water lol..if you have access to a sandblaster do it. Then get a good rattle can of primer and whatever color you want to paint them. Just be sure to get high temp paint. Don't paint the inside. Use several light coats of paint. I did Ford blue on mine

The plastic clips come off fairly easy. Be patient and if you break one, you might be able to get them at AutoZone. I got my valve covers at the local pull a part so I had extra parts.

And I totally agree with 85 on Rock Auto. Great prices and service

AJ

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BaconSammich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I tried Rock Auto and they didn't have OEM parts for my truck

Still looking to find out what is contained in "gasket set, valve grind" Ford part # F87Z-6079-AA

Does it contain head bolts as well since those are supposed to be removed? Exhaust gaskets? I don;t want to order any overlap nor do I want to be shorted and wait on a subsequent order.

Thanks

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I would give your local Ford dealer a call. Their parts counter should be able to tell you. Also, our trucks are getting to the age of having discontinued parts.

AJ

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

'97_4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Quick question, I've got a 97 ranger 4.0 ohv and the valve cover gaskets I ordered say they're for a 98-03 ranger. I know over the years Ford made minute changes to the 4.0 and was wondering if the gaskets I received will work on my motor or if I need to order different ones?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Quick question, I've got a 97 ranger 4.0 ohv and the valve cover gaskets I ordered say they're for a 98-03 ranger. I know over the years Ford made minute changes to the 4.0 and was wondering if the gaskets I received will work on my motor or if I need to order different ones?
Hola,

your valve cover gaskets should work just fine unless they are for the 4.0 SOHC motor that was in the Explorers starting in 98 (which makes sense for the 98-03 year range) I would double check that first off. If they do match the older OHV style 4.0 that yours and my Ranger have, the valve cover gaskets should all interchange from 1990 to 2002 when Ford quit making that engine.

also if it makes you feel better, the original 97 valve covers on my truck rusted out around the bolt holes, and I replaced them with a set off of a 98 Explorer with the OHV motor. the gaskets worked fine.

And now for the "how long will this last" question, I did this originally in 2010, and I am now looking at leaking valve cover gaskets again 9 years later lol, so not too bad I guess.

AJ

'97_4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ford 4.0 Valve cover gasket/intake gaskets (upper and lower)/fuel rail gasket and injector O-Ring replacement by 97RangerXLT

AJ

First I'd like to thank you for this thread, I have found it to be a great resource while working on mine.

Your photo shows the lower intake gasket going completely across, but my set came with only the two sides(nothing going across the bottom to seal that part). These are all that came with my set to go on the lower intake

Do you have any idea why they've made them this way, or if it'll even work for my 96 4.0 Explorer?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
When I did mine (almost 10 years ago... wow...) Aftermarket had the 2 pc set up as well, and from what I remember, my research told me that the OEM Ford one piece lower gasket was better. it certainly looked like it would be easier to manage, so I went ahead and ordered it from Ford. cost me about 56 bucks if I recall. Not sure if it is still available, but if not or you do go this route, I would say to use a bit of gasket rtv to fill in the spots between the two sides.

And that reminds me... I need to look at my valve cover gaskets again, they are seeping a bit

AJ

ranger_gord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 10.5 R15
My credo
40 yr. Electronic/electrical mechanical technician&currently a forensic engineer,Fire Investigator
Sorry to bring this awesome write up back to life. I am doing my 94 Ranger 4.0 and I am down to the lower intake now. My question is about Post #103 photograph. I have the exact same kit. However, my kit has the second identical fuel rail gasket AND the 12 neoprene seals for the bottom of the upper intake. When I removed my question upper intake it didn’t look like I had any neoprene seals installed on the bottom of the upper intake. My question is do I install the two felt pro fuel rail gaskets (one between the upper intake and the fuel rail and the other between the bottom of the fuel rail and the lower intake) and the neoprene seals for the bottom of the upper intake. Sorry for the long winded explanation (My OCD gets the best of me).
Thank you for the awesome write up!
Brent

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals