• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo charging/supercharging a 1989 Ranger 2.9L?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I quickly skimmed through this forum and havent really seen anything to do with the 2.9l. Could i do this for my truck and would it be worth it? What needs to be done for it? How much would any of the ways cost? Basically, what are my options? lol I have a 1989 Ranger XLT 2.9L 4x4 standard.Thanks guys :)

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Can it be done? Of course. Is it worth it? Not really.

Basically you've either got to plumb everything for a turbo or build a bracket and pulley system for a supercharger. Then you're got to come up with a way to tune it.

Looking at over $2000 realistically. I've got at least $2500 in the turbo setup on my Dakota and the turbo was only $300 of that. Stuff adds up.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can it be done? Of course. Is it worth it? Not really.

Basically you've either got to plumb everything for a turbo or build a bracket and pulley system for a supercharger. Then you're got to come up with a way to tune it.

Looking at over $2000 realistically. I've got at least $2500 in the turbo setup on my Dakota and the turbo was only $300 of that. Stuff adds up.
Damn...lol and theres not a way to do it for under a grand...? :p

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
it can be done, but the usual consensus is that its not worth the time and money, most say just swap a 4.0, or a SB.

however, i am a big fan of boost. the plumbing and stuff can be done fairly cheaply, but like hahns said, the problem is learning how to tune it.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it can be done, but the usual consensus is that its not worth the time and money, most say just swap a 4.0, or a SB.

however, i am a big fan of boost. the plumbing and stuff can be done fairly cheaply, but like hahns said, the problem is learning how to tune it.
I dont know the first thing or even where to start with the tuning. What all do you think i would need to do to do this? What would i need to make it show some bang for my buck?

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I can be done, and as others have stated if will cost some money.

The hard part and $$$ part is getting it more fuel.

But hey if you want to do it then don't listen to all the just go 4.0 or SB. If you are like me then you want to do something different. Who wants to have something like everyone else just because its easy to do. Hell my winter project is propane turbo for the 2.9 in my wheelin rig.

jhammel85

I dont know the first thing or even where to start with the tuning. What all do you think i would need to do to do this? What would i need to make it show some bang for my buck?
Honestly, best bang for your buck would be a 4.0 OHV swap. Tuning of some kind definitely comes with a Turbo / Supercharging.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what would i be looking at doing if i went the way of turbocharging the current 2.9l? Price, parts, where i could get it done, what i could do myself maybe, etc? lol it would be sweet to put a turbo in it, but if its gonna be over a grand i could see me being able to do it. lol And what about "spraying" it? seems like that would be more of a waste if you are taking about Nitrous :p

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, best bang for your buck would be a 4.0 OHV swap. Tuning of some kind definitely comes with a Turbo / Supercharging.
And i see what you mean, but i am kind of leaning away from swaps. It would be sweet and do the job great, but i dont have any engines laying around. So i would have to find a good running one, that will fit, and find a place to do it for my since i dont have any of the stuff to do it. if you guys can help me to figure it out i would love to put a bigger engine in. But i live in a relitivly small city so my best bet would be SGI or a dealership

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I would definitely use Megasquirt to run the injectors if I was force feeding a 2.9.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I won't get into whether it is worth doing or not because that's your business. As mentioned above, a way to tune it ends up being the expensive part but fortunately it can be done in stages somewhat. For instance if you are using it as a learning project, converting to Megasquirt is a good first step. If you build your own you will need a stimulator to test as you go but either way you will probably be into it about $300-500. But you also NEED a wideband to to get the air to fuel right. Once you have it running and are comfortable with the Megasquirt you could move on to turbocharging. In addition to the properly sized turbo, piping, oil feed and return etc, you will need larger injectors, larger high pressure fuel pump, (Walbro 255?) and adjustable boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. I have done several of these projects including a twin turbo 350 sbc blow thru setup and it really isn't that hard if you take it slow. It's the tuning that usually determines if you blow head gaskets etc and maybe more so with these engines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals