• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Neutral Safety Switch

AzureMach1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
truck is a 89 ranger. how do i bypass the neutral safety switch? truck will not start by the key but i can jump the starter solenoid and it starts. im having problems with the clutch master cylinder losing presure and i have been removing the clutch master cylinder like 3 or 4 times and i think something came lose and thats why it will not start by the key. i have already replace the start solenoid and it didnt fix it. On the clutch master cylinder it has a plug in with 5 wires black, white, green, and two pink wires. i think it the two pink wires but everything i has read about says nothing about the same color wires i have.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You mean the CLUTCH safety switch? I believe it's the 2 red (maybe purple, can't remember) wires on the plug.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Right, the neutral-safety keeps you from going into 4-Low, but the clutch-safety prevents juice to starter.

AzureMach1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yea sorry it would be the clutch safety switch but i only have a red, white, green and 2 pink wires and it 2wd if that matters

90rangersuper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it has been a while since i put mine in, but its just a switch, you push in the clutch it completes the circuit, you should just have to cut the 2 wires on the switch and hook them together to complete the circuit, this is all assuming that the clutch safty switch is bad

AzureMach1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yea but i dont know what to wire to connect tegether. im not sure if it is the clutch safety switch but i dont know what else to try

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
It's probably the 2 pink wires. If not, start jumping random wires on the plug till it works, I've had to do it before.

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i am trying to bypass my nss for now while doing my 5.0 swap. The red blue wire going to the solenoid I cant figure out where it splits off to go to the nss switch...does the wire change colors before or after the nss? I may be missing a harness from the old trans or something

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
FYI, that wire has several splices in it. It should be the same color at the clutch switch, the NSS, the ignition switch, and the starter solenoid. as for the routing I'd think something like this:

IGN>clutch>nss>solenoid

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals