• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leafs or springs for sas

RangerDan99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter V6
Transmission
Manual
yeah i got pictures i will add them after work today

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I would argue that the right leafs and the right setup will flex as much as needed if you're not doing some crazy buggy build.

I helped do a leaf spring build on a YJ a few years ago, it got a surprising amount of flex (took a little experimenting with spring packs to get it right, but it comes with the territory). We ended up doing a 3/4 elliptical in the rear while we were at it. It actually flexed better than my choptop that is running coils up front and leafs out the back.
Like you said they don't flex enough for a buggy. Hence what I am saying coils and coilovers are better. Leafs can flex well, but they cannot flex as well as a correctly setup coil/coilover. I have a great flexing set of rear leafs on my XJ has ton's of up and down travel, but it is nothing compared to the up and down travel the front has with its correctly set up 4 link.

That said.... for the OP, I would lean towards using coils or coilover/air shocks simply because the axle is most likely set up for coils and if you decided to go with something different, why convert the axle to leaf springs....
To go to coil overs would take just as much fab work as leafs. Going with a stock diameter coil is were the time saving/money savings is.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To go to coil overs would take just as much fab work as leafs. Going with a stock diameter coil is were the time saving/money savings is.

considering he has a 98+ IFS truck.....any SAS is gonna be alot of fab work....but in this case leaves would be easier....

plus, he never mentioned he was goin for a buggy anyways....

l8r, John

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds to me that you need to post them pictures to see if maybe it is a Dana 30 and not a 44.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
considering he has a 98+ IFS truck.....any SAS is gonna be alot of fab work....but in this case leaves would be easier....

plus, he never mentioned he was goin for a buggy anyways....

l8r, John
I have a 98+ IFS rig as well. I vote coils **** simplicity it will perform better :icon_hornsup:

Sounds to me that you need to post them pictures to see if maybe it is a Dana 30 and not a 44.
Depends pretty easy to check if its 5 on 4.5" its a D30. 5 on 5" can be as well but they are a little more rare and just as strong as an EB D44.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would argue that the right leafs and the right setup will flex as much as needed if you're not doing some crazy buggy build.

I helped do a leaf spring build on a YJ a few years ago, it got a surprising amount of flex (took a little experimenting with spring packs to get it right, but it comes with the territory). We ended up doing a 3/4 elliptical in the rear while we were at it. It actually flexed better than my choptop that is running coils up front and leafs out the back.

That said.... for the OP, I would lean towards using coils or coilover/air shocks simply because the axle is most likely set up for coils and if you decided to go with something different, why convert the axle to leaf springs....
I have YJ leafs on my Ranger....they flex real good. I did add a leaf to help with the weight of the 4.0 and the A4LD. Hasn't sagged yet.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Depends pretty easy to check if its 5 on 4.5" its a D30. 5 on 5" can be as well but they are a little more rare and just as strong as an EB D44.
If it is a Dana 30 from an early bronco it will be 5 on 5.5 not the 5 on 4.5.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
If it is a Dana 30 from an early bronco it will be 5 on 5.5 not the 5 on 4.5.
I thought the Bronco was a D27 or 28 not a 30? The D30 I was referring to in my post was a JK D30 with 5-760x joints and the bigger ujoints.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I thought the Bronco was a D27 or 28 not a 30? The D30 I was referring to in my post was a JK D30 with 5-760x joints and the bigger ujoints.
the jk dana30 is not as strong as the eb44 in stock form.. but the aftermarket support for them is HUGE. the jk dana30 is a slightly glorified d30, period.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you go to Randy's Ring and Pinion and get into the Diff Wizard the only front axle for the 1976 Ford Bronco was a Dana 44. But that doesn't mean that it has not been changed to the 30.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
the jk dana30 is not as strong as the eb44 in stock form.. but the aftermarket support for them is HUGE. the jk dana30 is a slightly glorified d30, period.
So you are saying the eb d44 with its little bitty 5-260x joints crappy shafts is weaker than an axle known to be good with 35s pretty much stock and 37s with shafts a truss and reinforced C's?

The EB D44 is a terrible D44 in stock form it is not stronger than a 90s XJ axle. There is however a lot offered for them.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
So you are saying the eb d44 with its little bitty 5-260x joints crappy shafts is weaker than an axle known to be good with 35s pretty much stock and 37s with shafts a truss and reinforced C's?

The EB D44 is a terrible D44 in stock form it is not stronger than a 90s XJ axle. There is however a lot offered for them.
wait sorry. wrong axle. :thefinger::icon_rofl:
was thinking of 44 hp not eb...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals