• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

never had this problem.. or heard of it

basham1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an '02 edge 3.0 2wd. My front bearings were making noise so I changed them along with the rotors and pads.

Since changing all of that, my pads have been rubbing against the rotors but in an odd way. On the outside of both rotors they are rubbing on the outer edge and on the inside of the rotors they are rubbing on the inner surface - close to the hub.

I took the calipers back off and nothing seems to be binding. The pistons move in and out freely and the slider bolts are greased and have no restriction. Put it back together and still the same thing.

Although, when I originally put the center nut on the rotor I only tightened it to 4-5 lbs of torque as instructed from multiple sources. Does anybody recommend a tighter center nut? And could too loose of a nut cause this sort of thing??

I'm stumped, thank you in advanced,
-Tom

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads like the new pads are not flat, they should wear flat after a bit of time

shortzt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if I'm reading the description right but sounds like warped rotors could, the last 3 sets I've bought I've had the parts store turn before I put them on and they weren't flat so even if they are new it doesn't mean much anymore

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
check bearings for play

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure they gave you the right pads. We've had issues with the parts guys giving us the wrong pads. The pads have nubs sticking out on the outside that interfere with the caliper going all the way on, making them sit crooked. I believe the nubs are in a different location between 2wd and 4wd. If I recall correctly, your Edge should use the 4x4 pads due to the torsion bar suspension and the coil spring 2wd pads are different. It's been a while since we had this issue so my memory is a little foggy but it's happened to several guys here in the shop. If they just looked up pads for a 2wd, it could be your problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals