• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger RABS Diagnostic Connector Location

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have heard of this elusive connector but no pics and i cant find it most posts make reference to the clutch but i have an auto could some one show me a diagram or pic or be more specific as to its location

Last edited:

Am4wag

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just located/used the one on my '90.Not sure if they're the same,but worth a look.Back behind the parking brake pedal,there's the harness of wires that come through the firewall from the engine bay.Strapped or taped to the harness is 1/2 of a plug connector,which has a black/orange wire going to it.You might get a better view by dropping down the fuse box.

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i got the code thanks for the help but now i need to know what four blinks means

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so it looks like i read the code wrong and i got a code 5 so what do i do to solve excessive actuations of dump valve during ABS braking

Am4wag

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had exactly the same code.I removed the bulbs for the warning lights,and am going to bypass the valve/join the two lines (3/16th's/Japanese 10mm) with a union,thus rendering no rear abs.,as this problem could be the actual valve needing replacement OR a result of it recieving a bad/wrong signal from the sensor due to a bad wire,or even the reluctor on the ring gear,or a number of other causes I'm not aware of.Simply put,I'm not going to start throwing parts at a system I personally deem totally rediculous-abs ONLY on the rear........what a joke.

Last edited:

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont know if i want to just remove the rabs its not much but i live in miami and it rains all the time breaking loose is a big problem and i need all the help i can get two years ago my original master cylinder blew so i had someone replace it. but the guy got the wrong one that had no plug for the rabs on the underside of the reservoir well no rabs and rain dont mix i was stoping at reds sideways for a year and a half till the master got a small leak (turns out is was a rebuilt) so i said forget this went and got a new one put it in myself and got the right one i was stopping in no time till this new problem

Am4wag

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I guess then you'll be buying a valve.They're 160 something at NAPA,plus 30 something for the core.Then,after the valve there's the module,which according to that thread I posted,can throw false codes.
I have'nt by-passed mine YET.I took the annoying abs bulb out,but forgot that the abs light will trigger the red brake warning light also,which I presently have now-although the brake system is good-except for the fact that I read a code translating to excessive accuation of dump valve.Which,if I'm interpreting the operation of this valve in supplied literature correctly,that's what it is supposed to do-dump pressure so the wheels don't lock during braking.
So essentially what I'm saying (not saying this IS your problem,but might be- same as mine),the abs valve is in fact doing it's job,but the module is reading the dump valve accuating as a fault.

FL_forlife33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
99 Ranger, Diagnostic Test Connector? Or Computer hook-up?

I have been doing research on my ABS light being on... I read a lot of threads saying there was a diagnostic test connector behind the passenger side kick panel, went on a hunt to find it... couldn't find it, then found a thread where someone said that after '94 (or '96, couldn't remember) they stopped using this connector, and run ABS light through the computer hookup near the hood latch, and that autozone, or other places can hook up computer to get code for the ABS light, I went to Advance Auto and they said they can't do that...

how do I diagnose this light?

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
at auto zone they have obd 2 scanners for sale i dont know if they scan brake codes

youngbull

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
OBDII cant scan abs or transmission problems. engine managment only

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think my local Autozone has ABS scanners. I'm having a similar problem - both ABS AND red emergency brake warning light are on after I had the rear brakes replaced and the whole system bled. I have a '94 2WD with RABS. Will let you know what I find out.

ctgriffi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
RABS malfunctioning

I've got the same problem in my 94 and would love to hear more about the possible solutions. When I start up and drive, there are no lights, but after several miles, I'll be cruising along and the ABS and Brake lights will just come one - and stay on 'til I park and shut the truck down.

I'm also considering replacing the valve/actuator unit, the electronic ABS controller...or, just pulling the bulbs and bypassing the ABS unit on the frame rail, like others have mentioned. I've also looked at swapping out the sensor on top of the rear-end, but I haven't found the right replacement yet...

Has anybody successfully solved this problem with the 94?

ctgriffi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Found the rear axle sensor for the ABS at Advance Auto - at least, theirs looked the closest to the OEM one on my truck. I did the replacement (easy), and it made zero difference.

I've still got the lights coming on, so I'm considering just swapping out the ABS valve/actuator and seeing if that does the trick. My truck's been this way for years now, but it still bothers me!

I'll post again if I find a solution...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The ABS diagnoctic connector looks EXACTLY like the EEC test connector, except it lives in a RED plastic cover.

It'll be right next to the ABS control unit (under the hood)

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals