• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bad valve on master cylinder

havok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger 4x4. The valve on the driver side of the master brake cylinder is leaking out the weep hole. The dealer wants $350 for a new master cylinder so I can get this part and no one there could tell me what its called or dose. My question is what does this valve do and can I just seal it with jbweld or something. The truck stops fine until the level gets low about 2-3 weeks. and i already replaced the master cylinder that i got from a local parts store and they have no listing for the valve part either. Thanks for any help.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station.

I'm not sure what valve you could be talking about.

Is this a part of the master cylinder?
Connects TO the MC?

ABS motor? If it's the ABS Motor, you may have a hard time finding one of those, unless you luck into finding an Explorer from CFC (cash 4 clunkers) that used that ABS Pump. Our year (and some Explorers) have a unique ABS Pump, that also processes the VSS signal for the speedometer.

Try to get the part number off of the part that is leaking. Or a picture.

havok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The number on the part is 2239621 and here's a picture.

havok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone? I would still like to know what this is and doses. thanks

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't see a picture.

havok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I can see it. might be a settings thing. im going to go to a pick and pull and see if i can get one cheap.

BWDuty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Brake Fluid Leak

I know this is a super old thread, but I'm having the same problem as the OP. Slow brake fluid leak that has been going on over half a year, I have to top off every week or so. Anyway, I finally found the leak and it is coming from the same valve on the side of the master cylinder that the OP is describing.

A Master Mechanic told me to replace the O-ring, which I did, and the new O-ring basically tore when I tightened it down. I either tightened it too hard, or this application may require a special material. Does anybody know what this part is called so I can, if it is inexpensive enough, just get a new one with a new proper O-ring? The threaded end screws into the side of the master cylinder, and the brake line screws into the other end.

I'm going to try to attach a picture..

Thanks!

Attachments

BWDuty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Fixed!

I wasn't able to find a name for this part, perhaps "check valve"? Anyway, I put a slightly smaller O-ring on it and installed it again without gorilla tightening it. I pumped the brakes quite a few times and no more leak! I still need to get my wife out there so I can bleed them and I will check again after that, but I think the problem is fixed. It seems this is a pretty common problem, I wish there was a way to make this search come up every time a person with a ranger searches "brake fluid leak". Like many others, I threw parts at the problem. I replaced the master cylinder, both rear wheel cylinders, had multiple people check my brake lines under the truck, and put probably over $100 in brake fluid in during my weekly top offs. All for a ten minute less-than-a-dollar fix. I hope this helps others. Just look at the connection from this valve to the master cylinder for a drip while somebody pumps the brakes while the truck is off.

We saw the brake fluid under the part while checking stuff but everybody just assumed it was spillage from filling the reservoir!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals