• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing Uhaul Cross-Country

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I have a 1987 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 OHV Swap done to it a few years back. Truck drives like a dream. I have the stock FM145 manual transmission behind it, just rebuilt it not 10k miles ago. And never romped on it with the 4.0. Everything else is stock that came with the 87 2.9 4x4. So my question is what are your opinions on towing a Uhaul 5x8 trailer loaded with household items and a motorcycle being the heavest thing in there? Im hauling all my stuff from washington state to florida. Just want to make sure im not completely exceeding the limits. I have driven tractor trailer before so I know about having to be able to stop the load as apposed to pulling it. Just an input would be great! Thanks guys!

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I think you would be ok.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Open or enclosed? Enclosed may protect your stuff better on the drive, but it'll also create a big wind drag behind the little truck. Motorcycle might be the biggest heaviest things going on the trailer, but all that stuff you pack in around it can easily out weight the bike. Also think about how much weight is going to be packed into the truck.

Hills and mountains are where you'll probably have your biggest issue. Knowing that I'd be passing over/through two large mountain ranges, I'd be getting trailer brakes if it were an option. That said, I don't know what route you intend to take, so it might be a non issue.

I think you'll probably be okay, but keep in mind weight adds up fast.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure to load trailer tongue heavy, single axle will get very unstable tail heavy.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The FM145 isn't going to like that.

Also, as said the weight is going to add up fast, and just because the bike is the single heaviest item doesn't mean it will account for most, or even half of, the total trailer weight.

A few months ago I moved a load of fire wood from my old house to my new house. 5x12 trailer, 2.5ft deep. I figure I had about 3/4 of a cord in there, and was moving over mostly level terrain. That trailer probably has less overall space than a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul.

Last week I had to replace my clutch. That is the trip that I think did this damage.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only mountain range im passing through is the rocky Rocky mountains, which if I remember correctly is not too bad. You cant install trailer brakes on a 5x8 because its only a 4pin plug right? Idk how trailer brakes work, never delt with them, just installed them at the shop. The dry weight of the trailer is 980ibs, I figure all my stuff weighs with trailer, maybe 1400-1500 pounds. So your saying my truck cant even tow that?? Idk what the tow rating is on the truck, I cant find it. But I will be using a class 3 hitch and ball, instead of the bumper tow.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sure you can use trailer brakes on a 5x8, it has nothing to do with the size of the trailer. Has to do with how the trailer (and truck) is set up. If the trailer does not have brakes, then you can't use them.

You say the trailer is 980lbs. Figure 3-500 for the motorcycle depending on what it is. That only leaves 2-400 lbs in your estimate.

Are you packing a bedroom or a house? A couple pieces of furniture could easily kill your estimate.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Edmonds.com , reports , the 1983 -93 ranger has a payload capacity up to 1600 lbs, did not specify drive train, I realize that's not towing capacity, however, if you are familiar with driving OTR , as most are not. You know the capabilities of your driving skills and your truck.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can probably handle 1500 lbs. I know you can do 1500 lbs no problem. I did 1500 lbs in the bed of a 4-cly S10 once.

If your trailer is 980 lbs and you put a real motorcycle, not a scooter, in it I don't see your load staying at 1500 lbs.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah my motorcycle is a 05 Kawasaki zx10r, probably weighs 400ibs wet??. Im loading a bedroom. So a queen size bed, dresser, entertainment stand, mini fridge, tv, computer desk, small love sofa and clothes. Thats pretty much about it. Those are the big items.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will be over 1500 lbs.

If the trailer is 980, the manufacturer spec on the bike's dry weight is 375. That is 1355 there. A queen bed, (assuming mattress, frame, box spring, and head board) plus a mini fridge is your remaining 145. Even if it is a sleep number bed which weights next to nothing the love seat will put you over 145.

The 4.0 will do the work. I think, don't know, but I THINK the load I pulled to break my clutch like that was 3K lbs or more. I also have the truck set up to do heavy work. I have the M5OD and the 31 spline rear. I am still thankful that my clutch disc seems to be the only thing that broke.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I have the bigger heavy duty 4.0 clutch I put in when I did the 4.0 swap to lessen the strain on the fm145, because I already know its not really ment to be behind the 4.0. But no problems so far

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dude, read through my build thread. Those pictures are of a standard duty 4.0 clutch. The 4.0 will toast a 2.9 clutch without even thinking about it.

The bigger clutch won't take any strain off the trans either. Lower gears take strain off the trans.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont have a 2.9 clutch in it, i have a 4.0 clutch in it. The 4.0 clutch has been behind it for almost a year now and about 10k miles. no problems.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i dont have a 2.9 clutch in it, i have a 4.0 clutch in it. The 4.0 clutch has been behind it for almost a year now and about 10k miles. no problems.
You have an 87 Ranger and an 05 Kawasaki.

Good, now that we are done telling each other things the other person already knows we can get back to business.

In your case the clutch isn't the weak point. The 2.9 has no problem breaking the FM145 in stock form.

The bigger 4.0 clutch, that I realize you already have, is not going to take strain off the trans. If anything the bigger clutch will put more strain on your transmission by allowing the transfer of more power.

If you want to take strain off the transmission you need to lower the rear end ratio.

But all of that is, at best, tangential to the point I am trying to make.

I know the FM145 will do 1500 lbs because I have done it. My bigger and more important point, that I have been trying to make, is that I think your load, assuming your estimate of the trailer weight is correct, will be closer to 2000 lbs. Your transmission is not going to like that. Maybe you will make it, maybe you won't. If you have 4.10 gears I wouldn't think twice. Given what I know about how the Rangers were configured in that era it is far more likely you have 3.45 gears. If you were only going through the plains states you'd be fine with that setup. The Rockies are going to be where you have problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals