• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I only have headlights and turn signals

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I pull the switch out and only have headlights and turn signals. I noticed that as I'm pulling the switch out there is a place right before the head lights come on then everything else comes on, everything else goes back out when I get the place the headlights come on. If I leave it in that spot and try to dim the dash lights they will not dim I was thinking the head light switch was bad but I replaced it and that did not fix it. I did find a bad wire on the brake switch but I did not try to fix it tonight. The abs light keeps blinking, and the battery light was on but it went out. I have the dash opened up. I did the overhead console from a explorer a long time ago. I started cutting all the wires out in case it was the problem. I am not sure how to trouble shoot this problem. I am guessing maybe a short somewhere? I did crawl under the truck and checked the speed sensor. It looked okay wires looked okay. I checked the plug and wiring from the brake master cylinder. I did find a bad connection for the wiring where the speed sensor went to the overhead console and fixed it. Any ideas on this I am not great with electrical problems. This did just start a couple of days ago.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Parking light fuse?
Light switch has power 24/7 so not part of key on/off circuits

Brake light wire being intermittent will cause ABS light to go on and off.
Blown brake light fuse will cause ABS to come on and stay on.

Battery light gets 12volts when key is turned on, it is Grounded at alternator, the light green wire.
When alternator is not spinning it is a ground so battery light should come on with the key.
And this battery light voltage on the green wire also turns on the alternator so it can produce power when spinning, so has double use.
If battery light doesn't come on with the key then alternator may not be working, when engine is running, I would check that, or you could get stuck with a no start.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
Just got done working and am going out to work on it. It has parking lights if I only pull the switch out part of the way. I guess I will try the turn signal switch and fix the brake switch wire and check the fuses and the grounds. Thanks for some ideas.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I got it. The brake pedal switch wire shorted out and blew the fuse. Its working now. I was thrown off by the problem. Thanks for answering though gave me some help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals