• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Delco still parts any good?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found I can get regular Delco parts on Rockauto for my tractor, mainly the voltage regulator and ignition points. But names are not always what they used to be, anyone play with old (50's-60's) Chevy's and run into this stuff? As good as it used to be or crapshoot?

Good electrical parts for older stuff is pretty hit and miss anymore but you never see real Delco stuff in parts stores any more either.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
AC Delco is still making parts, some may be made off shore now but I would still trust them to be in spec. with original AC Delco part.

If box said just Delco instead of AC Delco then it could be a knock off

Delco-Remy was a division of AC Delco but was sold off in 1994 to private investors, Remy International, haven't heard any bad about them but they aren't part of AC Delco any more

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Got a name and model number? Alternator or generator. If it is a generator you may need to polarize it? Just use a jumper wire and short the field terminal on the generator to battery posative for two quick touches. If you see a little spark the generator is polarized

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The regulator I have found is a D618. I cleaned the contacts on mine and it worked for half a day and quit again, it is pretty old. Trying to figure out if it is negative ground though, that is what my tractor is. The generator works great. Yeah, I know about polarizing the regulator.

I just know from work that new ones are hit and miss which is why I have been putting off fixing it.

It isn't original to the tractor, someone converted it from 6V with a cutout (that uses the light switch to adjust charging) years ago to 12V.

The points are D111 or D115, haven't researched them much yet to find out what the difference is.

They are all ACDelco.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You should be able to convert it to a 1 wire alternator with a little mount adaptation all your running is a couple lights at most right. You need to confirm the regulator is correct for the generator output. Research the generator and confirm the proper regulator.
All you need is a ignition switch and a volt meter and just run the lights full time with the ignition switch on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Delco-Voltage-Regulator-1953-62-GM-cars-Replaces-GM-1119003-D618-/301375311203?hash=item462b5e4d63:g:TB0AAOSw54xUU8Ma&vxp=mtr
Standard ignition parts are real dependable and the numbers cross to both D111 and D115
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contact-Point-Set-Standard-DR-2227P-/181626481074?hash=item2a49c829b2:g:m3sAAOSwwTlUoBMn&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Info is real hard to find on those old systems I believe that is a 35amp regulator neg ground what is the part number on the generator?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is kind of a show tractor, my great grandfather bought it new and I am the fourth generation owner. Either him or my grandfather had it converted to 12V.

I do despise how alternators look on old stuff that isn't supposed to have them. I know generators are archaic but for something like this I want to keep it. On most tractors they are right in the open for all to see.

I have another tractor that is going to more or less replace this one for heavy use, it sports an alternator (the one off my 2.8 actually because it was fairly new, I had it and had no future anywhere else) just because I want to run more and better lights.

Generators do not know what they are doing, they make way more than they are supposed to. The regulator knocks it down to 6 or 12V. The tractor was originally 6V so the "correct" one for it is a 6V cutout... which it hasn't seen for 30-40 years.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is the Gener-Nator for restorations when you want to keep the exact look but not the reason why generators were abandoned in the first place.

http://www.gener-nator.com/

Expect to pay in the $700-$900 range though, but been quite a few years since I got one of these.
These are not "stock" alternator parts stuffed into a generator housing, old parts are removed and new parts are machined to fit in old case, they can often do an exchange if your generator is a commonly used model, or you can buy it out right and keep your old one(core).
If it is a rare model then you will have to send it in for the rebuild.
They come in 6v, 8v, 12v, 24v, negative or positive ground

The external voltage regulator is not used but can be left in place for looks.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is really cool, I will have to remember that if someone comes in needing something that has much deeper pockets than I do.

The one that is on there has been there for a long time. I was just wanting to know if they are restickered Chinese junk or if they are still a good product.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Is the battery fully charged? Those old generators are pretty tough and rebuild parts are available. Clean up the contacts in the regulator again and fully charge a good battery and see how it does?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was in the middle of spring field work it died last year, I cleaned the contacts in the regulator hoping for a quick fix to keep going and it worked for half a day. After that I could run 3-4 days before I had to charge it.

We rebuild tons of generators, alternators and starters at work, yes parts are very available and decently priced for them. :icon_thumby:

I might try try cleaning the contacts again but I don't have a lot of faith in it, it is looking like I might need it in the field for another year and it is hard to farm after work without lights.

This is more or less being stuck in the house thinking about what all I need to get ready for spring...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I finally bit on the regulator.

I like the "Delco-Remy Made In USA" stamped into the cover. It also has "Made In USA" stamped into the base.

The old used-to-be-faithful Echlin

The new Delco in place. I didn't know until I was reading the directions the case has to be grounded... so I ran a wire from the provided screw to where the battery grounds to be safe. Otherwise I don't know about the connections to the battery box and the battery box the transmission case. Since it did work for a couple years and shortly after I cleaned the contacts I don't think it was the issue with the old regulator... oh well I have a new one now...

Started it up, no charge so I polarized it per the directions, Bingo :yahoo::

All three lights turned on (all I have to pull on the system) and it kicked up like it should.

So I am thrilled with it. :yahoo:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals