• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch master woes....is my new master bad?

cozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey, long time, don't usually need any help on my ranger with 300,000 miles on it, but I am stuck. 90 ranger, 2.3, 2wd

I put a new clutch in last year, clutch pressure plate, TO bearing and slave, but not the master, or line....a few days ago, the clutch felt kinda hard, and then spongy, and I had to even pump it up, then it went flat. After a tow home, I discovered low fluid, so I filled it, and tried to bleed to no avail. I could hear a squishing noise coming from the master, and I figured it must have got so low it sucked air into the master, and knew I would have to remove it, so I checked the warranty, and found I had a freebie coming, so I got a new one from Oreilly's(last time I replaced was 2003, so I'ma hoping this is the prob)
when I pulled the disconnect/check valve on the transmission, I noticed little o-rings coming out, and of course with a bad check valve, all the fluid gravity bled out onto the ground, while I ran for a pan, lol. So I bought a new line also. I also noticed the master was wet where the input shaft went in

I bench bled the new master with line, by putting a paper clip in the new check valve and putting it in a bucket o brake fluid....I chose this method, as the other way of little strokes and looking for air bubbles didn't work. When i did this, i used a pressure bleeder on the reservoir, but i noticed, I used no fluid from the pressure bleeder, it seemed to suck the fluid up from the check valve I had jimmy'd open.....after bleeding and removing the paper clip, I had rock hard pressure, BUT when I installed it, it wouldn't gravity bleed out thru the bleeder on the slave. It would seem it's not sucking fluid from the reservoir, even though it is pumping the fluid....end of story, I could get no pedal...does this sound like a bad master? almost like the internal check valve on the inlet of the MC isn't releasing to suck new fluid in
sorry for the long post, thanks for any suggestions

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals